How many would consider using a tether when diving with a loved one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only problem with tethers is sometimes they break and then you might find your loved ones floating over Pennsylvania.

I use dive rite ditchable pouches with my bp/w. Works pretty much the same as a weight integrated bcd.

works like yes... but isn't... that pocket still needs to be threaded or bolted onto some part of your gear... it isn't built into it as one system...

---------- Post added October 28th, 2015 at 03:48 PM ----------

The only problem with tethers is sometimes they break and then you might find your loved ones floating over Pennsylvania.

good point... you come to rely on a tether it might be a false sense of security when your buddy isn't actually there

I'm having trouble understanding the OP's original post and issue (as I do with most of his posts).
His wife had a very poor distribution of weight on her. At the beginning of a dive, there is no reason to carry more than 5-6 pounds extra (over what is needed to be neutral for one's exposure suit and body type), to compensate for the weight of the air in the tank as it it used up during the dive. If you lost 5 pounds at the beginning of a dive, you'd just be back to neutral; if you lost it at the end of a dive, you'd only be 5 pounds light. She lost her pouch at the end of the dive, and it had 9 pounds in it. So she was carrying 18 pounds, divided between just two weight pockets.
That's Problem One: she only needs to dump 5 pounds to be neutral or light, so why have 9 pounds in the pocket? Better to take her 18 and put 4 in each pocket, and the remaining 10 on a belt or in non-dumpable trim pockets. Dump one pocket early in the dive, and be buoyant, dump both at the end of the dive, and be buoyant. Lose one pocket at the beginning and still be slightly heavy; lose one at the end and only be 4 pounds buoyant.
Problem Two: velcro-only pouches....no longer made for good reason. Unreliable and dangerous. Best to put a bungee on the existing pouch to if it falls out you don't lose it....but attached so it is still dumpable.
Problem Three: panic.
I would not add a tether....that has more chance to be Problem Four than to be a help.

Interesting. I thought the possibility of rapidly sinking (or the bcd ascending on its own) would be a big risk if you remove a bcd at depth and were using a weight belt. All of a sudden you've got a lot of negative buoyancy on your waist and the compensating bladder in your hand in that case.

Yup, you are correct. Interesting indeed - kind of a tangent, but that's what we are all about here on SB, right?

As a practical matter, diver-rig separation (DRS) is pretty rare outside of training exercises, so I don't spend a lot of time thinking about how to optimize that situation. I really just brought it up to illustrate the difference between weight integrated BCs and rigs where the ballast is all on the diver. There are advantages and disadvantages of both. But if you wanted to minimize the risk of either an uncontrolled ascent or descent, you should distribute your weight so that you and your rig both remain neutrally buoyant when separated. As I mentioned, it's hardly worth doing that for this remote scenario alone. Distributed weight is helpful, however, for situations like the OP described where one weight pocket was lost, as was mentioned upthread.

If the diver is not overweighted, then there shouldn't be a lot of gas in the wing at all. Maximum inflation occurs when the two things that vary during the dive (which the BC compensates for) are at their most negative: at maximum depth (with a compressed exposure suit that loses it's positive buoyancy), and early in the dive (when you are carrying all of that extra gas with you).

So the two DRS scenarios are as follows:

Weight integrated BC - You are positively buoyant and will ascend, while your rig will sink. This assumes that you and your exposure suit are positively buoyant, even at depth, although some very dense people with little or no exposure suit may be "sinkers". While this will help with the OOG situation, it makes it less likely that you will be able to grab your rig and become reunited.

Weight belt - your rig will ascend and you will sink. Unless you are very overweighted and over a wall, you can probably just ditch the weight belt quickly and make a swimming ascent. But I guess with no gas to breathe, it's better to be heading up than down!

I don't see a point in tethering a loved one to go dive in poor visibility. It has too many downsides and in the end offers a false sense of security. If the combined buddy skills and conditions do not add up to a feasible dive then it's a good day to do something else.

The only I see a legitimate use of a buddy line/tether is for initial dives with a junior diver as insurance against an accident ascent or bolting.

I do appreciate most who have chimed in to give their thoughts. I do see the view on better weight distribution and they do have a very valid point. I only brought this up because it honestly is something that was on my mind, and just thought I would if others ever considered this.

I do think the tether or buddy line does deserve some merit. I know that I won't be doing most of my dives with a buddy leash but I think it would be something good to have in my pocket. If the viz gets really bad or if we experience a strong current I would like to know we will stay together and I can be there for her.

I know there are some who also have wondered why I would consider my wife's( or kids) life more important than any other dive buddy. REALLY!!!!

If being tethered to her presents a danger to me, because now we are both at risk for what ever the reasons are, so be it. I am willing to risk my life to save hers or my kids, that includes using a tether, if needed. It really isn't that difficult to figure out. IMO

If you don't think you will ever run into a situation where a buddy line can help, or it is not an option you would even consider for your loved one, than don't carry one.

I am carrying one from now on and I hope others consider carrying one as well.

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear Dive Mounts

Frank, I get the feeling that you were not 'thinking' about a tether but had in fact already made you mind up and were after affirmation or approval. It's obviously your call and you can do what you want. As a matter of interest, why do you hope I carry one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frank, I get the feeling that you were not 'thinking' about a tether but had in fact already made you mind up and were after affirmation or approval. It's obviously your call and you can do what you want. As a matter of interest, why do you hope I carry one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe that a buddy line could be a great thing to have in many situations.

If being tethered to her presents a danger to me, because now we are both at risk for what ever the reasons are, so be it. I am willing to risk my life to save hers or my kids, that includes using a tether, if needed.

A more responsible attitude would be to insist that you, your wife, and your children get the proper skillset, rather than force a dive in a dangerous situation that none of you are equipped to handle, and incorrectly assuming a gear solution will keep you safe.

Although coming from a manufacturer of dive-related gear, it doesn't surprise me that you would espouse a gear solution to a problem that is better solved by being a competent, qualified diver.

I don't see a point in tethering a loved one to go dive in poor visibility. It has too many downsides and in the end offers a false sense of security. If the combined buddy skills and conditions do not add up to a feasible dive then it's a good day to do something else.

The only I see a legitimate use of a buddy line/tether is for initial dives with a junior diver as insurance against an accident ascent or bolting.

In the appropriate circumstances it works. If there is lots to get it caught on then don't use it, and then if the vis is too poor to keep a buddy then don't dive. It is a tool which extends the possible and makes an otherwise stressful and marginal dive easier.

I am not a fan of the idea of holding a bolting diver down. I think that is likely to result in a stronger 'flight' reaction. Having a hold of an unhappy diver face to face offering reassurance while ascending is one thing, getting all negative and pulling them back down on a bit of string is something else.

Back
Top Bottom