How much does alg matter for rec dives? Cheapest buhlman DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess right now I have to trade off on one of these options:
1. 1-2 yr battery life, crappy LCD/matrix screen
2. 6-7hr battery life, nice LCD screen (cosmiq)
3. nice screen + battery life, but damn expensive (shearwater). $500+ even used.

No. 1 in your list are just fine, they are easy to read in bright sun light.

No. 2: It is still work in progress. I would go with Oceanic or SP as recommended above.

No. 3: You get what you paid for case here. SW and Ratio are actually reasonably priced considering their features compared with "lessor" computers that cost a lot more.

FWIW there are some really good deals to be had on the Nitek Q, last I saw they were 400 usd for a full Trimix CCR computer.
I have one as my backup (to the Perdix) and it's a sweet machine.

Tell me what?

If a sales rep told a customer that a product was going to be discontinued ahead of time, that would be grounds for dismissal. That's a corporate decision and should only be announced as a controlled release in a marketing update.

If a sales rep told a customer that a product was going to be discontinued ahead of time, that would be grounds for dismissal. That's a corporate decision and should only be announced as a controlled release in a marketing update.

They can reassure you that the specific products isn't going to be dropped and that it will be in the product line for this year :)

Dude, I have been in this business for over 30 years now and I have known most of these guys for this long too :)

They can reassure you that the specific products isn't going to be dropped and that it will be in the product line for this year :)

Dude, I have been in this business for over 30 years now and I have known most of these guys for this long too :)

As an aside...notice how a certain company has gotten REAL quiet about Seabear? I wonder what's going on. Have they written that acquisition off?

As an aside...notice how a certain company has gotten REAL quiet about Seabear? I wonder what's going on. Have they written that acquisition off?

They just said that they don't expect anything to come out this year and that they won't release any product if it isn't of the highest quality.

The main thing that bothers me about the oceanic veo series is that it's 7-8 years old now. They don't have a more modern model?

What would they add to it to make it any better (and still keep it around the same price point)? There is a whole lot of stuff in the scuba industry that is only a "new design" in the sense that it has Bold New Graphics. The basic tech hasn't changed hardly at all in years (for a lot of things).

I think you misread his post. He did not say they told him anything like that. He said some models are NOT going away and some other models WERE discontinued.

What would they add to it to make it any better

Mostly just looking for a better screen. I don't think it's possible to have a very long battery life + bright screen, though I could be wrong. (Maybe OLED)

Mostly just looking for a better screen. I don't think it's possible to have a very long battery life + bright screen, though I could be wrong. (Maybe OLED)

Oceanic has that (better screen) with the VTX. Adding that screen makes it more expensive. It wouldn't make sense to discontinue the Veo just because they have the VTX. Like I said, what would they do to make it better at that price point?

If you want a good, bright screen and good battery life, then your only really good option is a Shearwater Perdix or something even more expensive. Well, or a used SeaBear H3 - which is definitely a risky proposition. I LOVE my H3 and have had no trouble with it at all. But, there have been other folks that have not been so fortunate. And since ScubaPro bought SeaBear, buying a used H3 is a gamble. I did see one in the Classifieds the other day, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom