First DC - some clarification needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris_ger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

I want to apologize upfront for two things. First, for possible mistakes in my writing / language but forums in german are usually not really active. Second, for another question regarding a beginners DC.

I spent a couple of hours going through multiple threads and I am unsure if it has helped me or has made me more confused.

My situation:
I am looking for a DC for me and my girlfriend. I did around 25 dives and my girlfriend only has around 10 dives. We plan to do a nitrox certification and probably AOW but probably after we are a little bit more experienced.
We are/want to be vacation divers. That means we do not plan to dive weekly but if we are on vacation (usually somewhere warm and sunny) we would like to do a couple of dives.
Now, we both would like to have our own DC and I started looking around.
Here are things I'd like to consider:

Price: Below 300€ which means probably around 350$ but cheaper is always appreciated (if we do not have to pay more to get a feature that would be really helpful).

We would like to wear it on our wrist and because we plan on doing a nitrox certification it should also cover nitrox. There is my first question as we are not certified yet. Is it important that the DC covers a concentration higher than 50%? Or are these rare occasions?

Now when I first looked at the market, the following DCs came to my mind:

Cressi Leonardo
Cressi Giotto
Mares Puck Pro (Plus)
Mares Smart
Oceanic Geo 2.0
Aqualung i200
Suunto Zoop Novo

Are we missing a contender?

I have read multiple articles and the test results varied quite a bit.
We opted out the Suunto because we have read about some technical problems and the look is not something we are excited about.

However, all the others seem to fit our needs and there does not seem to be a "bad" or "clear" choice.
Some are more pricy and we are unsure if the additional money is worth it (for example the Oceanic Geo2.0).

The most confusing part for us was the conservatism regarding the algorithms. We are very new to diving so the limiting factor for us right now is the air in our bottle. However, we might develop and then the algorithm might limits our time under water. We want to be safe but we also would like have as much time under water as possible. The only watch which is more liberal is the Oceanic Geo 2.0, right? Are all the others pretty much on the same level?
Do you think that conservative / liberal is something we should consider or does it not really matter if we plan 10-15 dives max. per year?

If we do not consider the algorithm and say conservative is fine, which DC would you recommend?

Thank you very much for your help.

Chris,

Congratulations on buying your own computers.

All of the computers on your list are good ones. All computers wil do air and Nitrox gas mixes. I would not worry about algorithms. At your dive activity level all of them are really similar. As far as price the more you pay the more features you get...but do you really need all of these features? That is something you will have to decide.

I first started teaching with the Suunto Zoop. The new Zoop is a great first computer.

I sell the i200, but sell the i300 much much more frequently. It is less money but has all the same features.

Aqua Lung is coming out with the i100 in a few months. It will meet your needs but is less than the i200 and i300.

The Cressi and Mares I don't have any experience with.

Thank you very much Michael.
I felt a bit overwhelmed with options that I could consider.
While all computers probably fit my needs, what would be the next feature you would consider and when is it needed.
As an example: With some computers it is possible to use nitrox up to 99%, while some are "limited" up to 50%.
Is there a need for 99% or what are the occasions when I need it?

Also thank you for mentioning the i300. It seems to pretty really well. Have you had any bigger issues with it? Are you missing something on it? So i200 is not really worth the money, right?

Cressi Leonardo
Cressi Giotto
Mares Puck Pro (Plus)
Mares Smart
Oceanic Geo 2.0
Aqualung i200
Suunto Zoop Novo

Order of preference:

1. Oceanic Geo 2.0
2. Aqualung i300
3. Aqualung i200
4. Suunto Zoop Novo

Forget about Cressi and Mares!!

I am not sure if the Oceanic Geo 2.0 will be price competitive compared with the two offerings from AL in your area but it has feature of being able to decide between two algorithm depending on your desired diving profile. The AquaLung computers have almost the same features as the oceanic but only one algorithm (i200 can handle two gas mixes where the i300 only one mix. I don't think that you will need to keep track of two gas mixes in your type of diving however). The Suunto Zoop is a great entry level recreational dive computer and we use it in our dive center in student training. The only issue with it is that it is based on RGBM and it will be "conservative" if you are going to be doing intensive multi-dive/multi-day diving.

In short, if I were in your shoes, I'd go for the Oceanic Geo 2.0 as long as it isn't much more expensive than the AL computers.

Note: We have had the Mares and Cressi computers in our dive center training equipment fleet but we would not buy or use them again!!

You will need nothing over 40% nitrox unless you become a technical diver or a rebreather diver. I have been diving since 1990 and never needed it. The most prevalent blend is 32% though I have used 28 and 36% as well.

Having your own dive computer is great!

As an example: With some computers it is possible to use nitrox up to 99%, while some are "limited" up to 50%.
Is there a need for 99% or what are the occasions when I need it?

For recreational diver, you are one, no need for > 50% and certainly no need for more than one mix computer.

Also thank you for mentioning the i300. It seems to pretty really well. Have you had any bigger issues with it? Are you missing something on it? So i200 is not really worth the money, right?

The i200 can do 2 Nitrox mixes but the i300 only one mix. If you are going to be an occasional recreational diver, you will only use one mix and if you are going to be a technical diver who will be need to use more than one nitrox mix, neither computer will be adequate for your technical diving and thus you will be looking at much more expensive computers in a totally different category.

I could not discern any other differences between the i300 and the i200 when I read the information on the AL website respective pages. If there are other differences, please let us know.

Great answers, thank you all.
How is the algorithm of the Aqua Lung i200 compared to the Mares?

Regarding the price where I live:
Aqua Lung i300, Mares Puck Pro, Cressi Leonardo = 200 $
Aqua Lung i200, Mares Puck Pro Plus, Giotto = 240 $
Oceanic Geo 2.0 = at least 350-375 $

So there is a substantial difference and I am not sure if I am willing to pay that much more if I do not really need the feature.
All have user-changeable batteries, right?

Is there another model I should consider (like Oceanic Veo) or is my list quite solid?

Thanks again. You are helping me a lot!

How is the algorithm of the Aqua Lung i200 compared to the Mares?

The Mares is based on the RGBM with their own twist and it will be much more conservative than the i200 (you can make the i200 more conservative if you want based on your age, health, etc.).

I prefer a computer that is on the liberal side that I can make more conservative than a conservative computer that can only be made more conservative :)

Thank you. I edited the price for the i300/i200. It is around 40-50$ more.
I mixed up the names: i300 = 200$; i200 = 240$

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom