First DC - some clarification needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have just called a local dive shop to see if they have the models. Unfortunately, they only sell Mares in this price range.
However, he made a point against Oceanic. He said that Oceanic closed all major operations in Europe and Germany and focuses on the US market. So, it could be a bit annoying if some problems occur. What do you think about that?

I have just called a local dive shop to see if they have the models. Unfortunately, they only sell Mares in this price range.
However, he made a point against Oceanic. He said that Oceanic closed all major operations in Europe and Germany and focuses on the US market. So, it could be a bit annoying if some problems occur. What do you think about that?

Veo is a long established model that should have all its bugs ironed out long ago. So the chance of problems occurring is not that high. AFAIK there's nothing wrong with Mares either, unless you believe in One True Algoirhtm(tm).

Lack of any local service could affect your choice. Oceanic website still says there is a facility in Germany. You may want to contact the UK/Europe facility directly and inquire as to the current status.
upload_2017-11-24_11-36-14.png

upload_2017-11-24_11-37-32.png

I agree with @dmaziuk the Veo 2 is a mature product and unlikely to have problems. Of course your experience may be different, but my family of 4 divers have used Oceanic computers since 2002. I have never required warranty service. Oceanic does have a nice out of warranty service program that will repair/replace any supported computer for a reasonable fixed price Support » Service I have used the service since Oceanic was purchased by Huish and it worked promptly and efficiently through the Huish return portal
Return Merchandise Authorization | Huish Outdoors - 1540 North 2200 West | Salt Lake City UT 84116 US The return portal does have the following statement regarding international users:

Attention Customers outside of the United States: Due to the increased cost and delay associated with shipping internationally, we strongly encourage customers located outside the United States to contact the local authorized Dealer, or Distributor for assistance.

As before, best of luck in your computer purchase

They have an office and a building they own in the UK. They are still there AFAIK. Since Oceanic is now owned by the Huish group, they have an office in Germany too. I suggest that you verify this information through their address in the UK.

Last edited:
Putting the conservative algorithm to the side, I know a lot of newer diver who use the Suunto Zoop and are perfectly happy with it.

As Suunto and Mares are European based companes, perhaps that would be a better choice for the OP, given he's in Germany.

Putting the conservative algorithm to the side, I know a lot of newer diver who use the Suunto Zoop and are perfectly happy with it.

As Suunto and Mares are European based companes, perhaps that would be a better choice for the OP, given he's in Germany.
Hi @Marie13

Out of interest, what computer do you dive?

Never mind, saw your other post re Geo 2, heading to a Perdix

And AL is based in France and has huge presence in Europe (and the rest of the world as it is the largest dive equipment mfg. in the world). I doubt that it would make much difference however. Features, algorithm used, price and reputation should be the primary selection criteria.

I am OK with it in our rental equipment and personal diving when it is only a couple of dives in a single diving day. This also works for a lot of people but it starts to get really annoying when you are doing multi-dive/multi-day diving and the computer starts to lock you out and cuts your dive really short compared to your buddy's computer with more liberal algorithm. I certainly prefer a liberal computer that I can make more conservative over a conservative computer that I can only make it more conservative.

Last edited:
...prefer a liberal computer that I can make conservative over a conservative computer that I can only make it more conservative.

This has been discussed many, many times on SB, but, is often forgotten. You can make a liberal computer more conservative, but, you cannot make a conservative computer more liberal. You can always dive a liberal computer conservatively, i.e. stay further away from NDLs, even if you do not adjust the algorithm.

Oceanic dual algorithm computers have four decompression algorithm settings. From most liberal to most conservative, DSAT, PZ+, DSAT with conservative factor and PZ+ with conservative factor. These settings cover a very wide range. As an example, the table below shows first dive NDLs using 32% nitrox:
upload_2017-11-25_11-59-28.png

Anyone diving with Cressi RGBM, Mares RGBM, Suunto RGBM, Scubapro ZH-L8 or 16 ADT, Atomic RGBM, Bulhmann ZH-L16C with GF, or any other decompression algorithm out there, can use their dive planner and compare their first dive NDLs with the values in the table.

Of course, first dive NDL does not adequately describe the performance of a dive computer. There is little information available regarding the performance of dive computers over repetitive dives. ScubaLabs performs a simulated four dive sequence in the Catalina hyperbaric unit and includes this information in their computer reviews published in Scuba Diving Magazine. You can criticize this publication all you want, this quantitative data is one of the best things they do in their product testing and is some of the only information available. This is the link to the results from 2014 testing http://ads.bonniercorp.com/scuba/PDF/ScubaLab-Computer-Test-September-2014-data.pdf There is additional information available from the Scuba Diving Magazine website. For example, the 2017 testing results are available as an Excel download from 11 New Dive Computers Tested By ScubaLab In 2017 A wide variety of computers are tested, including the Shearwater Perdix, the Deepblu Cosmiq, and 9 others.

Many dive computers have the elements that would make them acceptable to a diver. The decompression algorithm is one important variable that might help dictate the correct personal choice. An informed consumer is a smart consumer. Best of luck to all making a choice for a new dive computer

Good diving, Craig

Back
Top Bottom