First DC - some clarification needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since the i300 is available and is less expensive than the i200, I'd go for the i300. The price difference appears to be very small however so if the i200 has other features besides the 2 Nitrox mix capability, I'd go for the i200. The Cressi and Mares computers don't come anywhere close to these two AL computers.

Aqua Lung i300, Mares Puck Pro, Cressi Leonardo = 200 $
Aqua Lung i200, Mares Puck Pro Plus, Giotto = 240 $
Oceanic Geo 2.0 = at least 350-375 $

Are these prices in Euro or USD?

Just do not buy Mares Smart, it has a very thin plastic connection between strap and body, not replaceable nor repairable. Although it looks better and smaller than Puck Pro (Plus) for example.
A friend of mine had it broken after 7 days without any reason. Fortunately she was able to get refund.

Puck Pro and Puck Pro Plus are the same. The only difference is a picture on the front glass. Me and my wife are pretty happy with them. Much less conservative than for example Suunto Zoop. Single button isn't an issue.

Last edited:
FWIW.

I have owned both the Cressi and Geo 2.

Between your options and dive plans, I too recommend the i300. It has all you need and a moderately conservative algorithm with two button function.

The Cressi Leonardo is one button which I avoid. The Giotto is a very good DC but more than you need. So to with the i200 and I would not spend the extra money for unneeded features at the point.

And this is even more so with the Geo. A sweet little wrist size computer but much more than you need with added complexity and cost.

Are these prices in Euro or USD?

USD. I converted the Euro prices which I have found online.

Thank you and Drone for the input.

I will wait for more feedback and then I will try to find a dive shop that has at least more than one brand to compare things like visibility and size and for exmaple to see if the straps are long enough to wear with a wetsuit.

Mares Wrist Puck Pro seem to be very popular and durable in my neck of the woods for recreational divers. They can be had for $175. Some people don't like the one button as it's a bit of a hassle when changing settings, but really it's not that big of a deal. The most common thing a rec diver does is check the log and view the plan mode. Plan mode is easy with a one button. You get used to view the log only using one button to scroll through the info.

Last edited:
USD. I converted the Euro prices which I have found online.

Thank you and Drone for the input.

I will wait for more feedback and then I will try to find a dive shop that has at least more than one brand to compare things like visibility and size and for exmaple to see if the straps are long enough to wear with a wetsuit.

$200 for the i300 is an excellent price indeed. I think in the US it is around $299.00.

Hi @chris_ger

As you have seen in your search of previous threads, the question about a 1st computer comes up quite frequently. Nearly any dive computer could be adequate for a 1st computer as all you really need is your NDL on nitrox. As nitrox certified, you will only be able to use nitrox to 40%. There is no reason initially you would need more than a single gas.

The decompression algorithm is one of the few differentiating factors, important to some divers, not to others. Cressi, Mares, and Suunto all run their own proprietary version of a RGBM, generally considered on the conservative side. Aqua Lung and Oceanic run PZ+, a proprietary Buhlmann-based algorithm, generally considered middle of the road. Oceanic computers also run DSAT (dual algorithm), also the basis for the PADI RDP, generally considered liberal. You and your girlfriend's gas consumption will likely improve with experience and algorithm choice may become more important.

Some of the computers you list are "watch" sized while others are pucks. If you want to download your computer's log, you may need to include the cost of a download cable in your calculation. If you and your girlfriend have the same computer, you could get away with a single cable, at least for now.

Oceanic and Aqua Lung computers are manufactured by the same original equipment manufacturer, Pelagic Pressure Systems, now owned by Aqua Lung:
Watch sized Oceanic Geo 2 = Aqua Lung i200, difference is the Oceanic dual algorithm
Puck sized Oceanic Veo 2 = Aqua Lung i300, same comment

Best of luck in your computer choice and good diving,

Craig

Thank you so much @scubadada
Your post helped me some more and clarified even more things.
I have realized that there are plenty of posts out there but the more I have read the more confused I have gotten due to discussions that were out of my horizon / understanding.

I will probaby have to check out the size and which fits best for me. Both sizes will have some advantages and disadvantages.
Regarding the Oceanic Veo 2: Is it pretty much the same as the Aqua Lung i300 or are there any other issues? Because the Oceanic Veo 2 is even cheaper compared to the Aqua Lung i300.

Thank you again. It is kind of an information overflow but we also want to go with a good option as we are not planning on changing the DCs frequently. However, it is great to hear that most DCs are capable to do what we need.

Is an integrated compass something one should consider? (even though we have been diving with a DM mostly).
Thanks again! I am glad I discovered this community and I will stick around to increase my knowledge also in other areas.

Thank you so much @scubadada
Your post helped me some more and clarified even more things.
I have realized that there are plenty of posts out there but the more I have read the more confused I have gotten due to discussions that were out of my horizon / understanding.

I will probaby have to check out the size and which fits best for me. Both sizes will have some advantages and disadvantages.
Regarding the Oceanic Veo 2: Is it pretty much the same as the Aqua Lung i300 or are there any other issues? Because the Oceanic Veo 2 is even cheaper compared to the Aqua Lung i300.

Thank you again. It is kind of an information overflow but we also want to go with a good option as we are not planning on changing the DCs frequently. However, it is great to hear that most DCs are capable to do what we need.

Is an integrated compass something one should consider? (even though we have been diving with a DM mostly).
Thanks again! I am glad I discovered this community and I will stick around to increase my knowledge also in other areas.
As far as I know, the Veo 2 and the i300 are identical aside from the Oceanic also running DSAT. Someone else may know more than I do.

I have worn a wrist compass for many years for general navigation, quick and easy. One of my computers has an integrated compass, I don't use it. This topic likely depends on experience and preference. Some divers really like their integrated compass and have preferences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom