How much does alg matter for rec dives? Cheapest buhlman DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer my old Oceaic Data Plus to any of the new computers I have seen. I have a VEO 200 that just sits in the drawer (and wqastes battery power). N2 loading alg is unchanged. O2 loading algorithm is a bit more conservative than newer models but that has never been a limit to my diving. I do like the higher resolution of the graphics whiich allows me to prack lead compartment N2 loading in 6% incremments. The only thing I miss is a desaturation time calculation but I can get a reasonably accurate estimation based on experience.

If you can still find one, they usually run less than $100.

They do have some, uhhh, limitations (quirks?). I would have no problem using a Nitek Q as a backup to my H3 or Perdix, but I would not personally choose to dive one as my primary computer. For a primary computer, I would spend an extra $100 for a used Petrel 2 over a new Nitek Q any day.

But if anyone does want to buy a Nitek Q, I would highly recommend DGX. They are the same price and DGX customer service is awesome with an unrivaled return policy.

Dive Rite NiTek Q Advanced Nitrox/Trimix Dive Computer (V2)

I use mine as a backup for my Perdix. They do have all the gases you might need, CCR capability and a compass. Also with a very nice screen.

At that price point I would rather have it than almost any DC in the same price range.

I use the Hollis TX-1 trimix computer. Bühlmann ZHL-16C algorithm with user adjustable gradient factors. It can also support up to 6 wireless transmitters with different gasses which you can change mid-dive (I use it with my side mount tanks). I see them for ~$400-500 new without the transmitter. Up to 15 seconds of built in backlight if needed, built in electronic compass. I don't use half the features it's capable of, but absolutely love it. Their DG-03 is the non-trimix version, same alogrigthm, can be found for ~$250 without transmitter. I think there is an Oceanic version (VT4 ??) as well, but I'm not positive.

Shearwater Perdix or something even more expensive.

For the price, value, features, tech/advanced rec capabilities, etc. Perdix AI and Ratio offerings are best value. I don't see why would anyone would buy an Oceanic VTX, AL, Eon, etc. computer that are the same or much more expensive than the SW/Ratio computers yet have less value and less functionality.

The Ratio is a real kick arse computer for real. iX3M computer has incredible screen with special cover that makes it easy to read the screen. It has about 150° angle view so you can see the computer clearly without fussing with it to turn it on your wrist for a better view. This is important to me when I am taking pictures and both hands are holding the camera and I can't turn my wrist to make it easier to read the dc. I have tested it and it does work and is so clear and sharp. It also make reading the compass very easy underwater. Their watch computer has very big numbers and labels that can be considered the best in this part amongst all other wrist type computer. It is so good, I can read all information with my own aging eyes and without the help of any magnifying lenses. I have a Suunto D9 and it is VERY difficult to read the small labels/numbers at the bottom of the screen without using magnifying lenses for me now.

It is still difficult to choose between the Perdix and the Ratio but, heck, I'd love to own both. You gotta have a back up anyways :)

I use the Hollis TX-1 trimix computer. Bühlmann ZHL-16C algorithm with user adjustable gradient factors. It can also support up to 6 wireless transmitters with different gasses which you can change mid-dive (I use it with my side mount tanks). I see them for ~$400-500 new without the transmitter. Up to 15 seconds of built in backlight if needed, built in electronic compass. I don't use half the features it's capable of, but absolutely love it. Their DG-03 is the non-trimix version, same alogrigthm, can be found for ~$250 without transmitter. I think there is an Oceanic version (VT4 ??) as well, but I'm not positive.

I have a TX-1 also. But, I will be selling it now that I have a Perdix AI.

But, just for the record, the DG03 is not the same algorithm. The TX-1 is the full Buhlmann ZHL-16B (or C, I forget - doesn't really matter) with Gradient Factors. The DG03 is the Oceanic PZ+ algorithm (i.e. BASED on Buhlmann, but not actually Buhlmann). From the DG03 manual:

Buhlmann ZHL-16c based Pelagic Z+ algorithm

The DG03 is a popular recommendation here on SB, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I'd get a Geo 2.0 or Atom 3.x or Veo or VT4.1 first - any of which will give the PZ+ algorithm option plus the DSAT algorithm option. Some of which are also in the same price range, by the time you get the computer a download cable.

Oceanic has that (better screen) with the VTX. Adding that screen makes it more expensive. It wouldn't make sense to discontinue the Veo just because they have the VTX. Like I said, what would they do to make it better at that price point?

If you want a good, bright screen and good battery life, then your only really good option is a Shearwater Perdix or something even more expensive. Well, or a used SeaBear H3 - which is definitely a risky proposition. I LOVE my H3 and have had no trouble with it at all. But, there have been other folks that have not been so fortunate. And since ScubaPro bought SeaBear, buying a used H3 is a gamble. I did see one in the Classifieds the other day, though.

Right, I guess my gripe is that there's no moderately priced DC with a good screen. It's literally a jump from a $160 zoop (or $200-300 oceanic if you want to splurge) all the way up to roughly an $800-$1000 DC.

Right, I guess my gripe is that there's no moderately priced DC with a good screen. It's literally a jump from a $160 zoop (or $200-300 oceanic if you want to splurge) all the way up to roughly an $800-$1000 DC.

Gotcha. Well, there is the DeepBlu Cosmiq. It has a really nice screen, similar to the Perdix. And is only $299, I think. But, there are other reasons I personally would not buy that computer. At least, not yet. Maybe if they release some updated firmware and software.

For sure, there is none that are cheap and have everything you'd want all in one. But, that's the nature of the beast, I reckon.

I have a TX-1 also. But, I will be selling it now that I have a Perdix AI.
But, just for the record, the DG03 is not the same algorithm. The TX-1 is the full Buhlmann ZHL-16B (or C, I forget - doesn't really matter) with Gradient Factors. The DG03 is the Oceanic PZ+ algorithm (i.e. BASED on Buhlmann, but not actually Buhlmann). From the DG03 manual:

The DG03 is a popular recommendation here on SB, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I'd get a Geo 2.0 or Atom 3.x or Veo or VT4.1 first - any of which will give the PZ+ algorithm option plus the DSAT algorithm option. Some of which are also in the same price range, by the time you get the computer a download cable.

Thanks for the clarification. I may be going the Perdix AI route myself after seeing the screen! My wife has been stuck on her Zoop since our training dives, but even she seems interested in the Perdix AI as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom