How much have you spent on gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apparent cheapskate here. Still using my original 1999 gear, Scubapro BC, MK2 plus R190, basic gauges,plus basic OW fins snorkel mask etc, all of which I believe was not over $1100 back then, in 1999 dollars.

Air hockey puck computer after one year, 200
Nitrox-compatible puck computer after 3 years (shoulda got this first instead of the air one, my wife got it for me as a Christmas present), $300
Used wetsuit, believe it or not still good, $50
Lost a fin while drilling u-bolts at Stetson Bank, boat gave me a leftover one, still use it, I'm easy for buddy to identify with different colors, $0
R360 to replace Oceanic hockey puck alternate, neighbor who used to dive gave it to me, $0
Pony 30cf bottle from same neighbor, $0

So I'm still under $2K I think, and less if I had just bought one computer

Now, we're not counting periodic gear servicing fees, right? Those would put me over 2K, since it's been a few times
Am in awe. Someone apparently cheaper than me!
Some of the other replies are amazing amounts. But I wonder how many are including buying a boat, maybe a trunk to store stuff, a rack to hang wetsuits, air/gas fills. I'm only considering the basic nuts and bolts dive equipment, like tanks, regs, wetsuits, etc.

Luckily over the past 14 years I've spent around 2500. This year was the year I spent the most on dive gear.

10 years and between 5k and 6k (US).

markm

£1800 in three years for me and the girlfriend. Including certification.

well, the tank 'farm' alone has crossed the $ 10 K barrier, at least in replacement value (20 steels, including 2 twinsets and 5 Alum) :)

Very little (if my other half is reading this)

In reality, about £1.5-2k.
Regs £200
BP&W £300
7mm Wetsuit £150
3mm wetsuit £60
Drysuit £300
Fins £100
Hood/gloves/boots £100
Knife/shears £60
Weights £150
Computer £150

Nothing close to what I have spent on my other hobbies such as photography (probably over £3k).

There's no way of knowing how much I've spent on scuba gear over the past 15 years. I would estimate there's between $25-$30 thousand worth of it sitting in my garage at the moment. Now that I'm not teaching anymore I need maybe a quarter of it. I've been considering a garage sale ...

If you sell your garage Bob, where will you keep your gear?

About €4k in 3 years and about €2k on certifications.
Before I started adding the numbers, I thought it would be about 2k-3k.
Funny how one can fool themselves.
I'm still using a old used BCD wich still needs replacing, after that I should be set for the coming years.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom