How much should you tip a dive operator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In classes - - I've only been tipped 3 or 4 times out of a hundred students or so [It was again in the 15% region or so - VERY respectable when compared to what I'm paid!] - - In general -I try to make sure that goes to the DM since they aren't paid at all ~!

200 or so students, 3 tips as an Instructor over the years here.

As far as DMs not being paid, that's definitely a situational/regional thing. Most operators I've seen here probably pay the DMs as well or better than the Instructors.... it works sort of backwards here, but Instructors can be a dime a dozen as good numbers of newly minted Instructors make their way to the islands, and ops will hire them, work them with students and intros 'til they know the sites, then they've got a shot at straight DM work - if there is a pay differential, it goes to the people who've been around longer, which happens to be the DM over the Instructor in many cases. We've had a few operators here that can somehow get people to work for free, but that's not the norm.

200 or so students, 3 tips as an Instructor over the years here.

As far as DMs not being paid, that's definitely a situational/regional thing.

Correct, good point - - In HI, the DMs I worked next to were paid about the same for the same work, but got the jobs more often as they needed it.

Here in TX - the guys that help with my classes get a free trip to the lake and all the air they can breath

Correct, good point - - In HI, the DMs I worked next to were paid about the same for the same work, but got the jobs more often as they needed it.

Here in TX - the guys that help with my classes get a free trip to the lake and all the air they can breath
On Maui, the DMs that assist with classes rarely get anything more than the air they can breathe on that dive... whereas the dive guides usually get paid the same whether they're DMs or Instructors.

whereas the dive guides usually get paid the same whether they're DMs or Instructors.

I'd say nearly all the guides maintain their instructor rating and so the pay is in line with "instructor" pay. A DM working as a guide would very likely be paid less (although probably only 10 or 15% less).

I'm planning my next trip and checking out this board again. While looking around I ran across the subject of "tipping" and I feel horrible!

I got my cert. on Maui this past Feb and the subject never crossed my mind. For one, I didn't realize it was a common practice in this business and second, I was overwhelmed by the entire experience. I had a Wonderful time but, it never crossed my mind.:dork2:

I know it's a bit late now but I'll be back next Feb and I'll make up for my mistake.

Depends on so many things, mainly where in the world. I usually do 20% and never less than $20 US. I find it extremely useful to sometimes tip before the dive starts that way i make sure to get VIP treatment.

Ahhh tipping. The question comes up all the time and the answer rarely changes, however it does bear repeating.
Tipping is personal and cultural, on Hawaii, like many other locations, it is just part of the pay.

For me, tipping is a reflection on how I was treated. If I was given the, just one of many, normal treatment given to all, then the tip reflects that and the boat/DM ends up 10% in the jar. If however, I was given the, you are our guest, we love to serve and want to make your dive special, then the tip goes up considerably. If I was given poor service, below the norm, poor gear, scheduling mistakes or rude treatment then the tip jar may just have to wait for another day.

I have tipped in advance with a mention to the DM that if I’m treated well, there is more coming but, I only do that on a crowded boat where there are others clamoring for the DM’s attention.

I'm planning my next trip and checking out this board again. While looking around I ran across the subject of "tipping" and I feel horrible!

I got my cert. on Maui this past Feb and the subject never crossed my mind. For one, I didn't realize it was a common practice in this business and second, I was overwhelmed by the entire experience. I had a Wonderful time but, it never crossed my mind.:dork2:

I know it's a bit late now but I'll be back next Feb and I'll make up for my mistake.

It's funny. I did the same thing. I went to Thailand and had an excellent time getting my Cert. There were only two students in our course and I received a lot of attention. I left my trip to Thailand without even thinking about tipping. What the heck do newbies know?

I proceeded to go to Thailand every year after that and by the next time I had met him, I was an Instructor. We just happened to be on the same pier and started chatting. He remembered me and some of the things from my course. Before we parted ways, I reached in deep and told him I had forgotten something and handed him a nice "tip". A few years too late but he was very appreciative to receive it.

Even now as an Instructor, I don't expect a tip from my OW students because they don't really know.

I got my cert. on Maui this past Feb and the subject never crossed my mind. For one, I didn't realize it was a common practice in this business and second, I was overwhelmed by the entire experience. I had a Wonderful time but, it never crossed my mind

Ditto... It never even crossed my mind while getting my OW and AOW certs...

However, when planning our first trip to Honduras, I did enough research in advance to figure out what the norm was there.

Tipping is personal and cultural
There is the flipside to the Cultural aspect and this is the biggest issue I have to deal with... Don't forget about the Culture of the "person receiving the service". My wife was born and raised in Korea and in her Culture there is no such thing as tipping. While my wife is perfect in every other way, when it comes to vacations there is only one thing we argue about... tipping! I usually am very sensitive to it (other than never even thinking about it for the initial instruction) and it ALWAYS leads to an argument. But with this thread at least I can begin to prep her for what to expect in Maui :)

Thanks
Russell

$5 per tank.

If I'm not treated right I don't come back. I dive Al a carte, not packages. I like to try multiple dive shops and I revisit the good ones on return trips. Jack's diving locker on the Big Island is one of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom