How much to tip dive masters and boat crew in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not a Dingus size thing at all I would just rather not have the help for the most part.

I've read that most Europeans aren't into tipping. I've only been over there a couple of times, only really toured once - but I didn't know that then, so I tipped. :idk:

Ah the thread originator is from other there...
Thanks for help! Much apreciated! Coming from the Nordics where tipping is unusual, its good to get some advice!
It was nice of him/her to ask. :thumb:

I see European tour groups in some popular destinations over here. I guess the waiters just accept that they are different. I remember a French group we encountered leaving a restaurant outside the east gate of the Grand Canyon, who seemed like they intended to just walk over my family if we didn't move - but I stood my ground and they went around us. I suppose the waiters were somewhat relieved to hear our Texas accents next. :)

I did notice that almost everyone we met in Death Valley was from Europe, but then there weren't such big crowds there - nothing like around the Grand Canyon village.

My daughter wants me to help chaperon a bus load of Chinese teenagers to the Grand Canyon and some of the other sites we explored together a few years ago. We may eat lunch at the Village, but I want to find various parking spots away from there before and after. It's amazing how crowded the rim walk gets near the Village. These kids seem to have plenty of change, but I'll let her the teacher cover tipping with them. We have learned to tell them not to carry $1,000 cash in their purses, then leave it laying on a store counter when they leave the store. :eek:

Not sure why but my daughter & I still differ on tipping hotel maids. I always leave a buck of two every morning. I have been a little upset a couple of times when the maids took the tips but didn't bother cleaning the room before I returned for the second night there. :mad: Those are rare, but did happen on that last Grand Canyon trip.

Why are you so worried about it, Don? Are you feeling guilty for being a cheapskate tipper or something?

I would hate to see what some folks tip after a week to ten-day liveaboard....geez. :shocked2: :shakehead:
It's good of you big tippers to make up for us cheapskates who only tip a little more than the suggested guidelines I suppose. :silly:

I can remember a couple of trips my first year as a diver than I had no idea and unlike our Nordic friend there hadn't asked. I feel bad about a few I under tipped but I did get a chance to make it up to my skipper and DM from my first Roatan trip as they were still there when I went back. I found each other them, saying "You may not remember me, but I owe you money" laying a $20 on each the first day. They seemed to have enjoyed that, whether they remembered me or not. I hear it was the last year for both of them. One retired and started a little dive service of his own, and the other will be in a mainland prison for a few years.

After watching many, many crews treat non-tipping customers with the same professionalism as tipping customer

Because (IMO) tips are thank yous, not bribes- otherwise we'd hand them out when we got on the boat instead of when we left. I'm glad the DMs I dive with treat everyone excellently.

---------- Post added July 11th, 2015 at 11:39 AM ----------

Is it bad that I tip more to an op that leaves me alone and goes baby the Divers that need the help.

Not at all. You ship tip for service you appreciate. (But you should also let them know you want that kind of service.)

The ever recurring tipping thread.... I'm always a little surprised at how MUCH everyone seems to tip, but after watching what actually happens on the boat, I wonder.

Ha ha... it's the internet you know. On the internet everyone is 36-24-36, blonde and Mensa members, the guys are all 6'-5" with blue eyes and square jaws and everyone tips $20 a tank. :)

Ha ha... it's the internet you know. On the internet everyone is 36-24-36, blonde and Mensa members, the guys are all 6'-5" with blue eyes and square jaws and everyone tips $20 a tank. :)

In that case I change my previous response. I, as a rule, when in Coz, tip every crew member that says hi to me on the boat a generous $30 apiece each day I dive!

36-24-36, blonde and Mensa members
I knew a few. Actually, I stayed in the club for a year more after I started scuba, but got bored with it.

Not a Dingus size thing at all I would just rather not have the help for the most part.

Wasn't considering yours but gosh now . . . Hmmmm :wink:

---------- Post added July 11th, 2015 at 09:10 PM ----------

I guess you mean 'Canadian' ordinary?

No, actually I meant in the way some people brag about their Porche.

Only DD would get bored in Mensa group consisting of Blonde Bombshells.... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom