How much to tip dive masters and boat crew in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only DD would get bored in Mensa group consisting of Blonde Bombshells.... :wink:
There were a few, but they were not the majority - no. Living where I go, the conventions were a reason to book hotels & plane tickets, and I made many. Well, during the 80s & 90s, I was kinda famous - even overseas, and it was kinda fun being treated like a celebrity. I'd calmed down a lot by '01, got certified & equipped, made a scuba trip or two - then made one more convention, and yeah it was boring, even the scuba group. My scuba travels become more appealing. I also hated seeing crooks who I had exposed for theft within the club still free and handling money. I follow a couple of politicians on FB still, and it's worse now.

Rumor has it that blonde densa members have more fun.
Yeah, they forget where the meetings are - but they create fun wherever.

How generous. $30-40 each for a 2 tank trip. Wow.

Wow, now I feel cheap...... Knowing a few Guides in Coz. I check with them on FB and see
if I can bring them anything from my local Dive Shop. Dive gear seems to be cheaper here.
Doesn't take the place of a tip, just doing a friend a favor......

Only DD would get bored in Mensa group consisting of Blonde Bombshells.... :wink:

Oh gosh. . . .I thought he meant the Playboy Club.

So $5-$7 per tank, per diver, is still standard in Cozumel?

We tip MXN$500 per person for a 2-tank dive. Currently that's about USD$25 or so.

Whatever you do, please do not just assume that MXN$100 is anywhere near 10 bucks as I've heard people say on the boat and would therefore be a decent tip. Currently, that's just under five dollars US. If that's all you can tip, go for it - DM's and captains are grateful for what they get, and that'll buy a nice lunch for one - but don't let the the zeros fool you into thinking it's a lot.

The whole tipping question will never be satisfactorily answered. You'll hear all sorts of disagreement with my answer.

The whole tipping question will never be satisfactorily answered.
It's so out of control. A 5 to 10% gratuity for doing more than their job should be a nice gesture, but so many who should be paid a fair wage are counting on excessive tips to make their budgets.

I started 10 years ago with $10 usd for 2 tank dive. Then increased to $15 USD a full years later. For the last 2 years I tip $20 USD for a 2 tank dive and $10 for a 1 tank nite dive. Sometime more depending for exceptional service. I still see folks tipping $10 and some 100 peso's for a 2 tank dive. I dive for a min of 15 days and 2 nite dives each trip. Boat Captains do remember what everyone tips. The Boat Captains and Dm's work hard and I budget for the tips before I leave the states. Just my opinion on the subject. Do whatever you want this is my take on the subject.

We believe it’s everyone’s personal preference (unless someone is obviously trying to purposely stiff a perfectly good DM/shop/etc in front of us in which case I’ll put some money down and slightly loudly say “Here’s the tip pile, who hasn’t put in yet?”) but I/we usually plan for and tip between $25-$30 pp for a good 2-tank day.

As for “above and beyond” we recently had a great (Aldora) captain take us to Maricaibo in some tough conditions where we had an awesome dive so we slipped him an extra $20 afterwards on top of that. Only once had a horrible cattleboat op that led a nightdive that was ran absolutely pitifully/could even be considered dangerous by some and we tipped nothing but that was the only time that has ever happened and we weren’t alone in doing so.

Have also had 1-2 mediocre 1-tank dives led by perfectly nice/safe/competent DM’s and in those cases we normally still tip $20-$30 for the both of us. We personally believe tips should be budgeted with the price of a trip/vacation but again it’s personal preference in our opinion and YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom