How old is too old ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterduck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I guess the title speaks for itself.I am uphill of 68 years old and although I haven't dove since about 1980's,I want to get back into it.I was PADI certified back in 1978 and gone as far as obtaining Advance OW and even became a certified PADI Open Water instructor.I dove places like Ohio quarrys,Tobermory Canada and it's ship wrecks and a few trips to Bonaire and Saint Croix.I can only locate one log book of 49 dives.I was wondering,just how many old divers are still active and if there is reason to believe that a certain age is unwise.Right now I am fighting a little problem with benine positional vertigo and have to go through theropy to resovle it.So,needless tho say,I might not try diving again until after things get back to normal.I also have to replace much of my deteriated gear.I won't tell you why my custom wet suit doesn't fit anymore.Tell me,am I dreaming or is diving for me still in reality.

If you are healthy enough to dive.... go dive. I cannot comment on the vertigo problem... you may want to post that question in the diving medicine section of the board:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/

I was certified in 1976 (but I was 18 years old). If you have the desire to return to diving, and are physically and mentally fit enough to do so (and nobody but you and your doc can answer that)... go for it!

Best wishes.

I got certified at 60 and my DM at 68. I think the physical condition is the most important aspect of diving at our age. I go to the gym regularly to keep up my cardio and physical conditioning. If I wasn't DMing I probably would slow up on the exercise a little. Cardiac events are probably the biggest worry for older divers.

When you can't manage your own dive. Other than that, if your doc says you're healthy enough, have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom