How old is Your Regulator & Oldest lasting Regulator ??

How old is your oldest Functional Regulator

• 3 years

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • 4 yr

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • 5 yr

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • 6 yr

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • 7 yr

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • 8 yr

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • 9 yr

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • 10 yr

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • 10 -15 yr

Votes: 24 16.7%
  • 15 -20 yr

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • 20 - 30 yr

Votes: 25 17.4%
  • 30+ yr

Votes: 20 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will add this one, my Tekna T2100 circa 78 or so. Not my oldest obviously but old enough.

DSCF0006.jpg

N

U.S. divers Conshelf 21. Purchased in 1989. Regular annual maintenance with LDS. Used as my main regulator until 2 years ago....now it is my pony reg. I still think it breathes easier than my new fangled regs with all the adjustable riff-raff.

I have a 1565 DA Aquamaster ( that I just overhauled. New hoses, springs, diaphram ect) and a 1984 Sherwood Oasis. Both work just fine. If you take care of the equipment there is no telling how long it will last.

My usual regulator is 30 years old, a ScubaPro Mark V from 1979. Older than I am, ha! It was one of the many pieces of my father's vintage dive gear (including my cherished JetFins) that he bestowed upon me when I got certified.

Here's a pic of me using it on a photoshoot at a local theme park:

3255349227_232e1f47c4_o.jpg

My only complaint is that it's a little heavy and (as you can see) tends to sag and pull on my jaw. Eventually I'm going to buy a lighter-weight reg for primary use, but this will always be one of my favorites (even if it is a pain in the neck to find a place to service it!)

I also have an old funky Dacor, which I believe is a few years older than this one. But I don't trust it and wouldn't actually use it. It makes for a nice conversation piece, though.

Edit to add: It's also worth noting that I have the original owner's manual and warranty/service card (in my father's name) for the ScubaPro reg, too! Heck, I even have an old ScubaPro sticker that came with it, too! (My family never throws anything out, apparently.. ha!)

My usual regulator is 30 years old, a ScubaPro Mark V from 1979. Older than I am, ha! It was one of the many pieces of my father's vintage dive gear (including my cherished JetFins) that he bestowed upon me when I got certified.

Here's a pic of me using it on a photoshoot at a local theme park:

3255349227_232e1f47c4_o.jpg

My only complaint is that it's a little heavy and (as you can see) tends to sag and pull on my jaw. Eventually I'm going to buy a lighter-weight reg for primary use, but this will always be one of my favorites (even if it is a pain in the neck to find a place to service it!)

I also have an old funky Dacor, which I believe is a few years older than this one. But I don't trust it and wouldn't actually use it. It makes for a nice conversation piece, though.

Edit to add: It's also worth noting that I have the original owner's manual and warranty/service card (in my father's name) for the ScubaPro reg, too! Heck, I even have an old ScubaPro sticker that came with it, too! (My family never throws anything out, apparently.. ha!)

That is a nice looking MK-5 / 109. It is a great regulator and I am very glad you appreciate it.

In the water it should be fairly close to neutrally buoyant.

It looks to me from the picture that the hose length may be a big part of your problem with that regulator. You may want to try a shorter Miflex hose (or even just a shorter conventional hose). The Miflex hose is much lighter and a lot more flexible.

My wife uses a 24 inch (I think that is the length) Miflex on her primary and she really likes it. It just doesn't pull her regulator on any direction.

Thanks for the picture.

Would it be possible for you to scan the original manual... I lost mine many years ago.
Thanks

Hmm, you know.. you may be right about the hose. Hadn't considered that angle. I think I may try that!

It's a great reg and mine's in fabulous condition, thankfully!

Sure! I'll dig out the scanner this weekend and scan it all in. It's a little brittle and ragged around the edges, but still legible.

:)

Great thread !
Apeks for the cold water of home , Atomic for the warm water south , only for weight consideration.
Like some others have posted , I do not tune my regs unless they need it . Apeks are bombproof. There are a couple of major brands not listed here . We know why!

I'll second Luis on the reg hose length, in fact the inflator could be a few inches shorter too.

It looks like the tank has turned, was is just that way in the photo or can we tune up your back pack?

As for the odest reg I have working, it's a DW Airstream double hose from 1956 or 57. But I have an early original Aqualung Trade Mark double hose on the bench right now. As soon as I get some parts back from the chrome plater it will be ready to go. It was made between 1950 and 1954.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom