How strict are they with carryon items?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the help.

My concern is they do not force me to check personal carryon items and charge me for the $100 third bag charge as rates skyrocket after the second checked bag.

If they force you to check an item at the gate is it considered a third bag if you have two checked in already? To pay $100 to check a small backpack as a third bag would hurt.

If they force you to check an item at the gate is it considered a third bag if you have two checked in already? To pay $100 to check a small backpack as a third bag would hurt.
No, not to my experience anyway.

I've never paid for a gate checked bag. Presumably if you have made it that far with your bags it's at least conceivable you're within carry-on limits. So if they make you gate check it's because you have something marginal, or the plane is really crowded, or just too small and gate checking is SOP. At that point they are generally more interested in getting the plane loaded and underway.

Now if you manage to get to the gate with something it's obvious should have been checked, they may very well take the trouble to do something about that.

I too have never paid to have my bag checked at the gate. No two flights are the same so our experiences won't necessarily be yours. Airline, plane size, staff and situations may vary.

Sigh, so much for the perceived safety of gate checking. My husband just got in and called me from the airport. Was on some regional plane that didn't have room for standard size carry-ons and they made everyone gate check. Then they neglected to put the bags on the plane and have no idea where they are.

Sigh, so much for the perceived safety of gate checking. My husband just got in and called me from the airport. Was on some regional plane that didn't have room for standard size carry-ons and they made everyone gate check. Then they neglected to put the bags on the plane and have no idea where they are.
At some airports, like out of country - I like to see my bags being loaded before I'll get on the plane, especially gate checks! I'm sure they'll turn up, but that sucks.

I've gotten more of the story - about 20 people put their bags in a baggage elevator on the jetway where they were told to. 4 people put them at the end of the jetway. Crew saw and loaded the 4 stray bags and left all the others. Unfortunately there's no destination on gate check tags, and they were playing musical gates because of weather delays, so that's apparently why they're not really sure what the heck they did with all the others.

What really sucks is he's on another trip day after next.

Damn, hope he has his numbered stub. I always try to keep up with those just in case, even tho it's little proof of anything - does help in computer tracking. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom