How to attach Integrated Air to Your BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

korvette

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just purchased a Pro Plus 2 and trying to get opinions on how to attach it to my BCD. How do you have yours set up, with a retractor, male/female plastic clips, etc. I saw one guy just tucked his into the belt, this would seem to protect it from hitting other objects but seemed like it could fall out at anytime. If you are using retractors, what kind, how long? Locking or not?

Also when I use the quick disconnect and unplug the computer after a dive do you use a plug on the end of the hose to keep debris out. If so where did you find it.

Thanks

I use a simple bold snap, tied on with braided nylon line (like you have on a diving reel).

Whilst I only dive with a simple SPG, the principle works on any design of console. I put bolt snaps onto all the rental regulators at my old dive centre, regardless of the console type.

You can then simply clip this to an available D-ring (either a hip or chest d-ring).

Instructions for the attachement (and knot) are here: How to tie the perfect boltsnap at Wreck and Cave

I normally 'finish off' the knot with a few spots of superglue to hold it firm.

It will look like this:
spg-clip2005.jpg

I just purchased a Pro Plus 2 and trying to get opinions on how to attach it to my BCD. How do you have yours set up, with a retractor, male/female plastic clips, etc. I saw one guy just tucked his into the belt, this would seem to protect it from hitting other objects but seemed like it could fall out at anytime. If you are using retractors, what kind, how long? Locking or not?

Also when I use the quick disconnect and unplug the computer after a dive do you use a plug on the end of the hose to keep debris out. If so where did you find it.

Thanks

I clip mine off my right side BC waist D-ring with a stainless steel clip, just like DevonDiver showed you. (I don't use cave line though, although that's one option, I use small zip ties instead. Some feel cave line is safer because it's easier to cut free in an entanglement emergency, but I still prefer zip ties...it's your call.) You can buy the hose 'plug' you seek from any Oceanic dealer...I have a few of those myself.

I use small zip ties instead. Some feel cave line is safer because it's easier to cut free in an entanglement emergency, but I still prefer zip ties...it's your call.)

There's nothing wrong with zip ties, but I found they do go brittle after repeated exposure to salt water and sun. Then they can break during a dive. It's nothing more than an annoyance... or you might lose your bolt-clip. The cave line solution seems to be infinitely reliable (my knots have survived 2000+ dives and still going strong).

And incorporate a break free O ring in case it is ripped rather than unclipped.

DaMaDo: those hose clip retainers are clever, but I can't help thinking that you'd lose a lot of them over time?

ScubaAnon: I've used cave line to secure bolt snaps to my SPG and primary reg for many years. They're the same bit of line that I tied on over 5 years and 2500 dives ago. In contrast, I found that zip-ties would typically last 1-2 months (diving 4-5x a day, 6-7x a week in tropical, salt water enviroment). If you were prepared to replace the zip ties...say every 50 dives... as part of your regular maintenance, then they are fine.

Knowone: I understand the logic behind using o-rings to allow breakaway for the joint. But I've never really understood the need for breakaway joints in recreational diving enviroments. Besides which, when I suffer entanglements when wreck diving... I don't use 'yanking' as a method to extract myself. If the SPG get entangled, then it will remain entangled, even when the o-ring breaks away. It just moves to a position that is more difficult to access and tends to get more tangled. If I am tangled, then I prefer to know about it...and resolve it with some care and consideration. Also, when I am inside wrecks, I don't move fast enough to place strain on the HP hose if it got tangled and pulled.

I am using a retractor and have the retractor clipped to my right shoulder strap d ring. This way my Pro Plus 2 is kept tight to my chest, plus gives me enough slack for compass navigation.

DevonDiver, not sure why you'd lose them. Maybe eventually the bungee will get loose or something? I don't have longevity experience with them so I can't say, but so far so good though.

The nice thing is that it's easy to put on and remove if you want to, but can also be ripped off if pulled REALLY hard in an emergency.

Back
Top Bottom