Question How to improve dive skills as a rec diver - alternatives to GUE fundamentals course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the other hand, I was once again ridiculed mentioning GUE as an interesting diving agency recently in Thailand. Most of the other divers, DM, instructors with thousands plus dives had never heard of GUE, a few had but had never met GUE divers. Neither had I. Where do you guys hide? I would love to meet a GUE diver and have an extended chat. I don’t want to dream about diving with one… yet:wink:
You can find us inside caves :)

Most of the other divers, DM, instructors with thousands plus dives had never heard of GUE, a few had but had never met GUE divers. Neither had I.

Many divers around the world have not heard of GUE and probably even less about any of the other DIR-type agencies.

Where do you guys hide?

We hide amongst you, especially around shipwrecks, caves, and cold water, but also probably in most environments.

Most GUE divers wouldn't necessarily talk about their training agency, just as many divers wouldn't necessarily announce that they're PADI or NAUI or ABCD trained.

If people keep asking about our training or how they can dive the same way, we might eventually tell them. Generally, I suspect most GUE divers don't tend to talk about their own training unless asked directly.

My first question on this forum, and in case this is the wrong area to post, please redirect me.

My wife and I are in our fifties and have been (travel) diving for a while, but with low frequency (70-90 dives spread over many years, warm water only, AOW/Nitrox certification level). We always used rental gear.

Thanks for your experience and wisdom.

I'm a recreational diver. I might suggest looking at joining a dive club like bsac if you were staying in one location. If not diving and lot and traveling renting gear is fine or bring your bp wing etc. Just buy your own dive computer. I own all my gear but I try to get in 200 plus dives a year. In Bali now for 17 diving days will get in perhaps 45 dives. Off to Bohol Cebu for 2 weeks from 24 October will get in 40 plus dives, to Moalboal Cebu in December for a TDI ANDP Course and maybe 25 dives. Next year I plan on 12 - 14 weeks of diving over the year.

If you were diving like me don't need an agency just dive with other divers willing to pass on some knowledge to you. As you do dive so infrequently it's hard to improve and spending money on courses is fine if you will do more diving to keep your skillset refreshed.

What a title!!!!
Are you suggesting that divers who came before or after GUE could not find way to improve their skill! This is an absolute insult to human intelligence
You can find us inside caves :)

Together with divers from other diving agency.

What a title!!!!
Are you suggesting that divers who came before or after GUE could not find way to improve their skill! This is an absolute insult to human intelligence
No, dude, he didn't say or imply that. Never mind the title. In the post he explains that GUE Fundies "could be" exactly what he needs, as may be offerings through other agencies as well. He did not assert that GUE Fundies is the only way to go about this.

The GUE Fundies (Rec) training could be exactly what we need, and is absolutely an option (although probably split in 1 & 2).

Looking at the curricula of other dive agencies as an alternative however, I really do not know what to pick.

Note that the GUE cult is highly protective and "secretive" about very similar skills sessions with pretty much the same skills--which they didn't actually invent, imagine that!--and yet they try to keep it all private to protect their "GUE [business] Edge" : ) Gotta protect that inflated mantra of being different ('but better'), and the premium-level cash flow! Be warned, it does operate like a cult, after you shell out the first $2-5k of initiation tithes, you will be encouraged to only dive with GUE divers, only take GUE courses, and only buy their specially endorsed products & equipment (customer retention, lots of religions work this way too)
Wow...... might be easier to just join up with Scientology and have Tom Cruise give you some pointers...

Back
Top Bottom