How to piss off a Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I clearly stated, you are free to check your air again after the crew check, but if it's boat policy to check, you'll have about as much luck arguing as you would telling a flight attendant what you will or won't allow.

You should have asked her. The worst it could have been was "no", but that's exactly what you got anyway by not asking her.

Oh yeah, and your post is worthless without pictures!
If that DM was a redhead in Cozumel I know where she's working now.

As I clearly stated, you are free to check your air again after the crew check, but if it's boat policy to check, you'll have about as much luck arguing as you would telling a flight attendant what you will or won't allow.

Boat policy is what it is -- if they insist on physically touching my valves after I explain that I'm prone to tearing the arms off people who touch my gear and endanger me by potentially turning off my air, then I'm stuck doing as you suggest. Strangely enough, though, once warned about my quirks everyone I've met has found some other way of verifying my gas was, in fact, on before I splashed off their boat.

Funny ole policy, innit?

I've had a dive pro actually close my isolator right before a dive. Didn't think much of him checking my rig until I was 10 min in and my spg was pegged. Opened the isolator and found equilibrium.

Don't let people touch my gear anymore.

Around here, a DM will not touch a "tec" rig in any way. Period. That said, part of the bubble check & s-drill we do includes making sure both R&L post valves and isolator valve are wide open. Yes, I trust my tec dive buddies to check this, and if you don't you should find new ones.

If a DM wants to verify my single tank valve is open, so be it. I find it highly unlikely that a DM doing this check is going to turn my air off without me knowing it before I splash -- backup reg in & take a few breaths, primary reg in & take a few breaths, then inflate wing. This process would not complete with a tank that isn't turned on. Pick your battles people. I am way more worried (s)he will drop my camera (from experience).

I've had a dive pro actually close my isolator right before a dive. Didn't think much of him checking my rig until I was 10 min in and my spg was pegged. Opened the isolator and found equilibrium.

Don't let people touch my gear anymore.

Interesting.

At least in the PADI system, divemasters are specifically told in their training (it's in the manual) not to touch tech gear without permission. Isolated doubles are considered to be tech gear.

my 2 cents on the topic this thread has evolved in to.....

as a dive pro that has worked on many boats, how many times have I checked someones tank to ensure it is open and rather stupidly turned their air off? grand total of zero (so far)

How many times have I checked someones tank and found it to be closed or open just enough to get a sip at the surface but nowhere near enough to give the air that would be required at the depth the diver is heading down to? I have no idea but if each of those people had given me a dollar.....

If you know your tank is open, no dive master or boat crew is going to turn it off without you know it right? So what's all the bitch'n about?

Opening or closing a tank isn't digital, the crew or DM isn't going to quickly push a button on your tank as you walk by without you knowing it, he's going to be turning your tank valve for quite enough time for you to realize he's closing an already open tank. There should be no surprise to what is happening or danger to it since you know it's happening.

If you know your tank is open, no dive master or boat crew is going to turn it off without you know it right? So what's all the bitch'n about?

Opening or closing a tank isn't digital, the crew or DM isn't going to quickly push a button on your tank as you walk by without you knowing it, he's going to be turning your tank valve for quite enough time for you to realize he's closing an already open tank. There should be no surprise to what is happening or danger to it since you know it's happening.

I've wondered that myself. There must be some way it happens, because apparently it does happen. Maybe a diver forgets he turned it on himself and thinks the DM is turning it on? Maybe a DM checks tanks before they are on the diver and the diver doesn't notice? Still seems a stretch.

I've wondered that myself. There must be some way it happens, because apparently it does happen. Maybe a diver forgets he turned it on himself and thinks the DM is turning it on? Maybe a DM checks tanks before they are on the diver and the diver doesn't notice? Still seems a stretch.

If this scenario really is bothering you, the Vindicator valve knobs at ~$16 seem like a no-brainer. . .

Vindicator Handwheels for Scuba Valves - Dive Gear Express

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom