How to reel in a finger spool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, the twisting isn't that big a deal. It's only going to get you into trouble if there is slack in the line, and you don't ever want slack in a line anyway (it doesn't take twists to create knots and messes).

I hadn't thought about it, but James is, as usual, right; I DO use the double-ender when I'm in drygloves, because handling line in dry gloves is tricky (you can't feel it very well). But with bare hands, I just wind with my fingers.

If doing something in the theoretically perfect way is going to make it difficult to keep a schedule or keep a team together, I'll go for suboptimal and fixable any day. But in reality, despite not being particularly religious about rewinding spools, I have yet to have a single even minor problem related to the way I spool up, except that the spools don't look pretty.

I too am diving cold water, and so I'm rarely in anything but 5mm neoprene gloves. Gloves do make everything harder.

With gloves, double-handed rotating of the spool is slow and clumsy, but I've only done it a couple of times. Just now, practicing it in my living room without gloves (or water! :) ) went much smoother, but still awkward. Probably something I should practice more.

I'm going to practice using the double-ender as well: I'll make sure I run the line out and back in using the spool only (or a drill) when I'm done to make sure it's untwisted.

How long does it take you to reel in a spool underwater? In my living room, I was able to do 75' in a little over five minutes, or about 15' per *minute*. I can see doing *half* that underwater and with gloves. Is that really how long it should take? Or do I need to keep practicing? :)

Thank you all very much for your help!

It's pretty easy to recover line to a spool, using a double ender, at 30 fpm while wearing dry gloves.

All the best, James

Using the double-ender *does* make reeling it up a lot faster than trying to rotate the spool. In my living room I can easily do the whole 75' spool in under two minutes.

Thank you all very much for your help! I will keep practicing, but this has helped immensely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom