How to route can light cord

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lonebrave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm currently diving a mostly hog-style rig (bp/w, 7' long hose & necklace, wetsuit, but still using AI console computer). I'm currently PADI AOW/Deep/EANx certified, but hoping to be able to get an intro to tech course in later this year.

I just ordered my first can light (UW Light Dude LD-26-96-TM). I'm trying to figure out how to add it to my rig. Based on images I've seen (e.g. diverfrontlight) it looks like the light cord is routed under the long hose (I assume to ensure the long hose is fully deployable if needed) to the left hand or clipped off to the right chest d-ring when not in use. Instead of tucking the long hose into my belt, it will get routed under the can. What else should I be thinking of when adding a my first can light?

The can goes on the waist belt on your right hip - thus no right hip D-ring. The long hose then loops under the bottom of the can, and yes, the long hose is over the light cord so that it is not entrapped.

If you don't scooter, it makes sense to run the cord up along your right arm with a wrap or two around your arm to take up extra length if the cord is too long (but it's fairly easy to have the cord shortened). It's very clean that way and it keeps the light head out of the way when managing bottles on the left side.

If you do use a DPV, then you'll want the light head in the left hand and the cord needs to be routed across the torso. The major issue I see with that on divers though is an overly long cord that then hangs down underneath them. And I've seen furrows in cave floors hundreds of feet long from dragging light cords, so it's a pet peeve of mine.

I'm a proponent of routing it so the longhose is closest to the body and the light cord is free to move about.

Clipping the light head to the right chest d-ring is a very common activity on dives (esp during gas switches, since you're headed down the tech road, apparently). You run the risk of really trapping that long hose each and every time you switch gases, and that's when divers are most apt to have an OOG incident (although often temporary). It does add an extra step to the air share procedure, but that is honestly not a big deal and extremely rare on real dives. Trapping the long hose (by clipping off the light head) is potentially much more common and much more serious. Lighthead needs to be in the left hand almost always so you don't blind your buddy when you share gas.

As for dragging light cords, I feel that people need to had the right size cord for their body and be mindful of it when cave diving.

Lighthead needs to be in the left hand almost always so you don't blind your buddy when you share gas.
That's a good point, especially in a class where you share gas on every dive. Once past class, and in the real world, where a gas share means someone just screwed up for real, gas sharing is very uncommon. I've donated gas 3 times in 27 years of diving, only 1 of those was in a technical situation and everyone involved saw that coming in advance of the actual share following a major gas loss failure.

However, I've also found that even with the light in the right hand, if you grab the second stage either by the purge cover/face of the reg, or by the hose next to the inlet fitting with your hand, and light pointed up, nobody gets a face full of light. There are pros and cons and the important thing is to practice to ensure what you do does not generate other issues.

I also prefer to keep the long hose against the body. The cord does not interfere with regulator donation in any way. The light head only needs to be passed over the hose when you go to deploy the full 7' length.

Based on images I've seen (e.g. diverfrontlight) it looks like the light cord is routed under the long hose (I assume to ensure the long hose is fully deployable if needed) to the left hand or clipped off to the right chest d-ring when not in use.

In GUE config it is routed in front of long hose. If you donate, you sort out the routing after the recipient has your reg in his mouth. This is a part of S-drill and after doing it for a few time you do it on autopilot. If you are clipping the light to a right D-ring, you put the cord behind the hose and tuck it under the belt.

However, I've also found that even with the light in the right hand, if you grab the second stage either by the purge cover/face of the reg, or by the hose next to the inlet fitting with your hand, and light pointed up, nobody gets a face full of light. There are pros and cons and the important thing is to practice to ensure what you do does not generate other issues.

Try it... as soon as you extend your right hand with the reg in it ( alway by the hose, never by th cover, the OOG diver needs to be able to reach the purge) you will blind the OOG diver.
Your light goes left....

That's a good point, especially in a class where you share gas on every dive. Once past class, and in the real world, where a gas share means someone just screwed up for real, gas sharing is very uncommon. I've donated gas 3 times in 27 years of diving, only 1 of those was in a technical situation and everyone involved saw that coming in advance of the actual share following a major gas loss failure.

It also pays to get use to having the light on the left hand so when scooters come into the mix, you're already comfortable with it. There's some real disadvantages to keeping the light in the right hand, so why not just keep it on the left?

Please Note: I have no experience in tech diving, canister lights, and BP/W's. So my question is purely a curiosity.

If there seems to be a slight issue with the cord of the light running across the body, why don't divers just mount the canister on their left hip? Seems like an easy solution, but I'm guessing there is a significant downside to this. I'm Just wondering what that would be.

Like others mentioned light cord over the long hose. But I'm GUE infected so that would explain it :) Holding in the left hand most of the time. Switching to the right when doing flow checks or dumping gas. No matter, scootering or not. Thelight has a thumb loop for the right hand thumb.

---------- Post Merged at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:40 AM ----------

Please Note: I have no experience in tech diving, canister lights, and BP/W's. So my question is purely a curiosity.

If there seems to be a slight issue with the cord of the light running across the body, why don't divers just mount the canister on their left hip? Seems like an easy solution, but I'm guessing there is a significant downside to this. I'm Just wondering what that would be.

Left side is used for an spg and clipping the stage bottles ( many of them). It is also the most dynamic, you can have just an spg, 1 or 2 stages + leashes with other stages or deco bottles. The right side is clean for the ease of the long hose deployment. The canister does not interfere with the deployment of the long hose. The stages or deco bottles would.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom