how to safely attach my gopro to my BCD/Wrist etc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gabeee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys, i just received my gopro setup as shown in the pic..
IMG_2891.jpg

Im wondering how should i attach my setup to my body to prevent losing my setup?

What im thinking of is just attaching a lanyard from the tray to my BCD.

However do u guys think i should also attach the gopro also? or attaching the tray is enough?

I actually came across this youtube video, however im kind of worried that like while being underwater if i tug it too tightly the back housing might pop out or something.

cheers guys!

Nice setup. I would probably do 2 things:

1) Put a simple wrist strap on the handle side. Loop it on when using. Eliminates any slip/drops.

2) Put a very very light retractor on it, something that you won't have to fight/pull on. Or some type of simple attachment system like this:

Amazon.com: Scuba Diving Lanyard with Dual Clips & Quick Release Buckle: Sports & Outdoors

This would be solely for when you start to surface or if you need oth hands free for anything. You can clip the camera to your BC, slip off wrist strap and be hands free. Get to surface and unsnap it to pass up to the boat capt.

Just like the camera people do it.

Here is another Scubaboard thread that may be VERY useful for you:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...est-way-secure-camera-you-gear-retractor.html

I use a Lanyard just like this attached to the tray and BCD, when its clipped it wont dangle too much but uncliped the winded cord isn't restrictive in any way. If your camera is mounted on a tripod mount it should be secure and shouldn't fall off so only need to keep you and the tray connected.

112358d1325886544-whats-best-way-secure-camera-you-gear-retractor-product_detailed_image_144_256.gif

I put a bolt snap on each side of the tray attached with cave line. I clip it off to both chest d rings when not in use. When in use I just unclip it and hold on to it. When going somewhere that if I drop it would be a big deal (walls, narrow cracks etc) then I have a wrist lanyard I run my hand through before unclipping it.

Good choice! Just work out in your mind before you dive how you will hand it off to the boat Capt. That is where 99% of gear gets lost lol!

Good choice! Just work out in your mind before you dive how you will hand it off to the boat Capt. That is where 99% of gear gets lost lol!

haha thats kinda hilarious haha. i think i should also probably test my dive housing without the gopro first for the first dive incase.. that will be a good idae right? and follows marty's advice on putting rubber bands over it

Yeah, my 1st dive (deep dive in cozumel) will be with an empty case to test. 2nd dive will be with camera in.I need to find a rubberband or something......what does everyone reccomend for keeping that latch down?

Hi Guys! i did 4 dives so far and no problems! i didnt go down with an empty housing for the first dive. i just added rubber bands in case. have loads of footage to edit..

This is the video that was lost in the original post:

[video=youtube;0D752upa8_0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D752upa8_0[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom