How to tie a knot or terminate a bungee line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a double fisherman's know to tie the bungies on my bottom timer and compass mounts. It allows you to adjust the size of the loop. I melt the ends after cutting teh bungie cord to length.

Attachments

• double_fishermans.gif
    double_fishermans.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 4,787
A fisherman's knot (overhand knot version) makes a smaller profile. I just use the double fisherman's knot shown in the above post.

Attachments

• fishermans_knot_making.gif
    fishermans_knot_making.gif
    15.6 KB · Views: 955
If you're looking to just put a stopper knot on an end of line, a simple overhand knot will do.
If you want a knot that can easily become untied, a figure 8 knot would be better.
If you want a bigger knot that won't come undone, do an Ashley's Stopper knot.

No matter what knot you choose to use, whether it's fishermands for a reg necklace, or your regular overhand for a permanently attached necklace, or even something completely different of what ever, here's what you should do.

Before you cut your bungee to length, prep it by wrapping masking or painters tape around your bungee and cut in the middle of that tape. Next, take a lighter and melt the end. The tape should stay intact and your bungee line will have a nice melted end, without your outer sheath banana peeling away from your inner cord. Remove the tape and you're now ready to tie your not.
After you prep your line, tie your knot (pulling it tight with pliers helps a lot) and lightly heat the knot to stiffen the bungee. Be careful not to burn the outer sheath.

This is what I usually do when I am working with rope. It is very effective and looks much better then the alternatives. I never had much use for bungees, I prefer to use surgical tubing instead.

I use a hot knife I use for splicing rope at work. Fishermans knot and use the hot knife in between the bends to melt the outer sheath to each other. It's impossible for the knot to untie.

Man... you guys are hard-core

I've never used anything other than a fisherman's cinch and in all those years I've never had one come loose.

All this melting, gluing, gooping and burning is impressive but.... I mean ... wow... seriously?

R..

Haha, while I share your general sentiment, I think the OP was more asking about the knots, but I could be mistaken.

Others have chimed in about the knots, I suppose I will as well. I tend to use the Fishermans knot, which is basically, on a loop, two overhand knots which lock together. I use that knot when I might want some adjustment in the length of the knot, as you can somewhat adjust it after the fact. Otherwise, I use a square knot.

As for the burning, melting and that business, that's all to keep the bungee (or any synthetic rope/line) from fraying and coming undone. The "burning" seals the ends of the synthetic fiber together, preventing them from separating and becoming a mess. In order to actually secure a knot for diving (like a boltsnap on an SPG), it's best to apply a dab of superglue, and secure the ends of the line or bungee by melting the ends.

Back
Top Bottom