How to treat swimmer's ear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you!

An important part of any medicine is the instruction of its application. Do you have experience using it – necessary number of drops, time left in the ear canal, before/after dive, between each dive and the like?

Let us know your observations.
I am planning to use the USN protocol — 5 minutes per ear

I am planning to use the USN protocol — 5 minutes per ear
Could you please, share the USN protocol - link or document?; Or share a bit more details, such as 5 minutes per ear before or after each dive, or just before/after a number of dives for the day, or the treatment is applied before and after.

Could you please, share the USN protocol - link or document?; Or share a bit more details, such as 5 minutes per ear before or after each dive, or just before/after a number of dives for the day.

Click here:

Acrobat Page 672:
13-18.2 Prevention of External Ear Infections. Severe ear infections can develop unless preventative measures are taken. An effective preventative regime includes irrigating each ear with 2 percent acetic acid in aluminum acetate solution (i.e., DOMEBORO) for 5 minutes once each day. Irrigation shall be observed by the Diving Supervisor, timed by the clock, and logged.

Edit:
Domeboro is widely available including from Amazon:

I guess I would defer to the Navy, but that seems excessive. There are two types of drops: Antibiotic/steroid drops which treat swimmer's ear, and drying drops like the alcohol/vinegar preparations which are just to displace water and drop the pH. The first may need some time to work, but the second is really meat as a topical agent to rinse out the ear canal

Now if you have a lot of debris (e.g. earwax) in your ear, then the drying agent might not work so quickly. But then the important thing is to get that removed. Otherwise, it is VERY hard to treat otitis externa. Sort of like trying to treat diaper rash without changing the diaper....

Click here:

Acrobat Page 672:

Edit:
Domeboro is widely available including from Amazon:

I used to have a solution made up with that name from the pharmacy, but they stopped making it, quite a while ago. I had since forgot the actual name. I think I remember that the recipe included adding some glycerin? Anyway, it was WAY better at preventing swimmers ear compared to vinegar and alcohol (for me any way).

How do you make the solution using those products? Recommended dilutions etc.

I guess I would defer to the Navy, but that seems excessive

Ya think? Does that include:
US Navy Diving Manual Revision 7 Change A:
Irrigation shall be observed by the Diving Supervisor, timed by the clock, and logged.
:facepalm:

From Dan:

Dr. Edley's 1971 paper referenced in the DAN article is available for $15 if you want to read it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom