HP hose bubbles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sillygrendel once bubbled...
very slowly = about 1 ~3mm bubble every 5-10 seconds
Is this continuous... that is ongoing? Or just as pressure is applied by turning on the valve?

Turn the pressure on... place the hose underwater... wait a few moments and then wipe the hose through your hand to clean off any bubbles... do more bubbles form?

It is continuous.
It is not what I originally thought... the hoses should not do this continuously and there is a slow leak... possibly even at the fitting that is leaking down the outer sheath to come out the pores.

And Tom's suggestion that this might be a bad batch is probably correct.

I would get another hose from a different source.

This second hose is from a second shop anyway. Maybe not a different source.

The orginal hose came from a DIR hose package from fifthd. I gave them a call about it and they didn't seem overly concerned but said they would replace it if I paid for shipping. I thought about getting one at the local shop here but they didn't have any short enough. I wanted to dive this weekend so I figured I'd order another one (this time from EE), send the other one in at my leisure and then have an extra HP hose for the save-a-dive kit.

I've always hated the longer pressure gauge hose and was really looking forward to not having to deal with it! The short ones just don't seem to be liking me!

Do you think this would be something that is OK to dive on over the weekend or should I just switch back the longer one? (cringe)

Do you think this would be something that is OK to dive on over the weekend or should I just switch back the longer one? (cringe)
Without first hand inspection of the hose.

If it is continuous then it is defective.
If it is the initial air squeezing out then it is not defective.
If it were here I would pressurize it, submerge it, wipe it, check it, wipe it, wait, check it, wipe it and if it continued to bubble I would shelve it.

jfusaro once bubbled...
Try changing the o-rings on the pin on the gauge end of the hose they are 003 size
...a leaking spool wouldn't bubble out down the hose... it would leak right at the fitting.

But good idea to have at least one extra spool (already o-ringed) in your dive bag.

~~~~~~~
edited to correct typing mistake - up

Let it sit in water for 30 min or so under pressure, wiped it clean and came back in 10 min to look for bubbles. None to be found!

Must have been working the air out of the hose.

Thanks UP!

...a leaking spool wouldn't bubble out down the hose... it would leak right at the fitting.

Spot on. I noticed this on my rig when rinsing it last weekend. I just removed the SPG, removed the air spool, switched the o-rings, reattached everything...no more bubbles...

Back
Top Bottom