Votes: 27 33.3%
  • HP120

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • OTHER

Votes: 31 38.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi again,

I have had the same experience, filling tanks.

Most all of the shops I visit, use whips for the fills.:eyebrow:

I thought the guy turning me away from the 120's might just be trying to sell me the 100's or 119's, which HE CAN fill.:shakehead:

The more I think about it, though... I REALLY like the characteristics of the HP100 tanks!:D

Now I just need to find the right tanks at the right price:rofl3:....

Thanks for all of your responses on this.

Scott

I used my new HP120 Faber this weekend and took it in to get filled at the LDS during lunch time.

No problem with their gear and no extra charge for extra air.

Also, they filled the tank and then let it cool while I ate lunch down the street. They topped it off at full pressure when I came in to get the tank after lunch.

Love that LDS. (Now, if only the could compete on price for the big-ticket items.)

I have a both 100's and 120's and have never had a problem getting them filled.
The cost for a Nitrox fill is $1 more then filling an 80.

I use the 120's for deeper dives and the 100's for the rest.

120s are really tall. Almost crazy tall. Now if you're like 6'3" or taller maybe they're great, but I don't see many of them in the Midwest. ... You'd have to be pretty darm tall for the 120 to work. If not a 100 than a 119 would be a much better choice.
I think it is a matter of personal preference as well. I am 5'10" and dive single and double 120s, and find they trim out just fine. Yes, you don't see as many of them as 100s or 130s these days, in part because of PSTs 'implosion' several years ago. At this point, were I to do it again, I would go with 130s. But, my dive buddy just picked up a second 120 to double up, and has a set of 119s as well. He prefers the 120s (as doubles) to the 119s.

I have 100's, 120's and 130's. The 100's are great as far as a comfortable, manageable tank goes. I like my 120's but I am 6'2" which helps, that said, if I had it all to do over again I would have skipped the 120's and just purchased 130's for my big bottles as I find myself using them much more often than my 120's.

I like my AL63's

Ok...To help put somethings to rest :wink:

IN a containment system, there is a whip. THere has to be otherwise how would you connect the tank to the fill station? IT might not be long enough to go outside the containment tank to fill something like doubles though.

I have never seen a doubles fill station. Not really the best idea based on the whole principle of if a tank explodes, its causing damage....we want to minimize that damage so there is a separate piece of steel between them hoping to prevent tank 2 from also exploding and even more damage.

BUT....most containment fill stations will accept 120s even with the height, they will just need to not be banded. BUT, if its a smart shop, the will have a longer whip hose on it so they can fill outside the containment system. YES, there is a safety lever that will only allow it to fill when the system is closed, but its very easy to stick your hand in and push the lever and watch the tanks fill.

We have a containment system setup for yoke, off that there is a whip for SCBA, one for DIN, and 4 more yokes over where we store our tanks so we can fill and just leave them secured.

Most shops are not just going to rely on 2-3 whips inside the unit for their fills because there are too many different bottle types...at least I hope they wouldnt rely on that :wink:

If anyone wants pics so they can see what these look like, please ask :D

Hope this helps :wink:

If a shop can't give me air, I leave and don't return :) there's only been one shop that told myself and a buddy that they couldn't fit our tanks.

The only other shop I've used that has a containment system has a DIN whip outside also.

Get whatever tanks you need....or want! :)

I'm that buddy.

I was kind of pissed when they told me that they couldn't fill my 120's because they wouldn't fit. They must not have very good business sense because that is the kind of stuff that drives away customers. If they could fill my tank (for a good price) I would go back and possibly buy other gear while they fill, but now I wont because I cant get tanks filled there.

I am not sure about the containment filling scenario but I am very pleased with my 119's. I've got a pair of Worthington 119's. They're shorter than an AL80 and large enough to get 2 dives off of each. I don't really use them on any dive charters so them being 8" ins't really an issue. Actually being 8" is nice because they're more stable when standing up.

As my tank is a 232 bar 15l steel tank - which should be 3480 l or approx 123 cu/ft of air, I guess my preferred tank size would be "other".
Havent seen the containment system youre speaking of though, so I wouldnt know if its a problem filling it there..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom