Votes: 27 33.3%
  • HP120

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • OTHER

Votes: 31 38.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a fan of the HP100 and my lovely bride uses a HP80. Works out great based on our mutual SAC rates.

Do you know that is the 178th time you've used the phrase "lovely bride" on Scubaboard?

Do you know that is the 178th time you've used the phrase "lovely bride" on Scubaboard?

You care enough to count them???:wink:

The containment system at my LDS can not fill 120's (too tall and door won't close) so they have a separate whip to fill them and doubles.

Here in the store I have steel 100's, 120's, 130's and 80's. I also have doubles, aluminum 80's and 63's. These tanks are all in rental and I can use any of them I prefer. I used to almost always use the 120's until I got the 100's in. I was much like you, I didn't need more air, but I had it so why not carry it. Once I started diving the HP 100's they became my favorite tank. I dive them even in the pool now. They are a nice size and comfortable to use.

I have been places that couldn't fill the 120's without deactivating the safety on the fill station, and they didn't want to do that. I have also been places that couldnt' fill them for other reasons. Most dive shops SHOULD be able to fill them though. I can. Most other shops I know use a basic whip for filling.

Brent

120s are really tall. Almost crazy tall.
Al80s are 26" tall; HP120s are 28" tall.

A 2" difference qualifies as "crazy tall" ??

I never had a problem filling my HP120's on dive boats or in shops here in SoCal. They may not be able to fill them to the full 3500 psi, but they had no trouble filling them to their maximum compressor pressure.

Tank size is based on the dive profile and gas consumption. If I am doing deepish flat profiles (like in the 80 foot range) with Nitrox it's really a toss up between the 80 or 100 sized tanks. I can hit my NDL on the 80, but having a 100 gives some wiggle room in case thing go wrong with a buddy (has never happened to me).

If I'm doing profiles over 100 feet, and there is some good stuff to see on a multi-profile dive, like diving a well and then ending on a shallow reef, then I may want to extend the dive, and a HP100 is nice.

I like the HP100's because they have the same diameter as an AL80. So no screwing around with tank bands. I've not dove the HP120's but see my first statement. If you need a 120, get a 120. I believe there are a few tanks in this range that have different form factors, so if hight is something you are worried about, you can go fatter.

I've never seen a fill station that uses this closed box method described. Any shop with a whip (I think the vast majority) could fill any size tank for scuba.

If a shop can't give me air, I leave and don't return :) there's only been one shop that told myself and a buddy that they couldn't fit our tanks.

The only other shop I've used that has a containment system has a DIN whip outside also.

Get whatever tanks you need....or want! :)

I love my 120s (double set). I trim out just right in them; I'm 6'0" 200 lbs. They aren't *that* long (AL80 = 26.1" x7-120 = 28.0" x7-100 = 24.0"). I like 7.25" as it's ~20% smaller frontal surface area than a 8" tank, and some boats might not fit the 8" diameter tanks in their racks. Sometimes the fill costs a little extra, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you can sneak 2 dives out of 1 fill when you couldn't with smaller tanks, so paying extra for some fills is about break-even.

As far as weight, when empty they are 5.5 lbs more negative than an Luxfer AL80. They weigh 6.6 lbs more (empty), but since you have to carry 5.5 lbs less weight, the net increase in your rig is 1.1 lbs. Not bad for 50% more gas! It's nice peace of mind if you're doing penetrations (more reserves), and fewer trips to the fill station. BTW, I've never had a problem getting them filled.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom