Humidity in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rufous

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are considering going to Roatan for scuba. We are not sure when we will go (hopefully April, May or June). I wonder if there is much of a difference in water and air temperatures during those months and I especially wonder if the humidity changes much during those months. We do not do very well when it is both hot and has high humidity. Please advise me as to which month would be best and what the typical air and water temps would likely be along with the humidity. Thanks so much, Rufous.

With your needs, these months (May-July) are probably your best bet.

Water temps are fairly consistent year round, running from an occasional low of 79* and more often 82-84*, certainly to the higher end in August.

Air temps are consistent as well. Evenings it may drop to 75, days may range into the mid 90's.

At sea level, anywhere, you will find humidity.

The place closest to your criteria? If I'm reading it right, Water Temps = air temps + Low Humidity? Galapagos in Sept-Oct.

rufous:
We do not do very well when it is both hot and has high humidity. Please advise me as to which month would be best and what the typical air and water temps would likely be along with the humidity. Thanks so much, Rufous.
:lol2: No, I don't guess you're used to sweating much where you live. So often we want to travel to exotic places, but have it be like home. :silly:

Go, wear industrial strength sun block and Deet, loose fitting clothes, drink sports drinks and learn to sweat a little. But stay in the water 4 dives a day and you won't have much time for that.

I've always been in the summer and the only times I got hot were when the ocean breeze was blocked by a building. Wipe your foreheads with a cowboy bandana and experience life. :)

DandyDon:
:lol2: No, I don't guess you're used to sweating much where you live. So often we want to travel to exotic places, but have it be like home. :silly:

Not necessarily. Some of us just don't deal with certain climatic condition combinations whether it be at home or abroad. We aren't looking for "just like home." We are looking for conditions in which we can have an enjoyable vacation without major discomfort or even heat induced illness. I've been to Roatan in both summer (July) and Winter (December). I'll put up with the rain and limited diving/snorkeling in winter before I try to deal with heat and humidity combined in the summer. My last summer trip to Roatan was spent almost entirely in my hotel room. I didn't deal well with those conditions (high heat/high humidity) in the US, I don't deal well with them in Honduras where I now live. As every year passes, I'm less and less physiologically tolerant of high temperature and high humidity combined.

BTW, Walla Walla averages near 90 during the summer months. Central WA as well as the Olympic Peninsula where I used to live has seen extended periods of triple digit temperatures with high humidity.

Ok, wrong again. thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom