Hydro test video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice video. So the permanent expansion was 0.9 cc. When the tank is hydroed again in 5 years and then 10 and 15 years subsequently, what are typical permanent expansions?​
Thank you.​

So the permanent expansion was 0.9 cc. When the tank is hydroed again in 5 years and then 10 and 15 years subsequently, what are typical permanent expansions?

Good question. I imagine it varies by material. I suppose it is also possible that the metal will continue to contract after hydro for some period of time beyond the ~30 second hold time. Hopefully someone here will educate us.

Thank you. I would also be interested to find out how much does the tank expands during an air fill. A materials science expert can tell us more about the elasticity of the tank during repeated fills. I would assume that it varies between the materials used (Al and Steel).

I always wondered how the air in the tank gets dried after the hydro. We saw in the video that the tank is inverted to drain. Yes, the water drains but not a lot of air circulates into the tank and how does the humidity in the tank decrease? Wouldn't that cause flash rust?

Interesting topic for sure and the video was nice too.

I always wondered how the air in the tank gets dried after the hydro. We saw in the video that the tank is inverted to drain. Yes, the water drains but not a lot of air circulates into the tank and how does the humidity in the tank decrease? Wouldn't that cause flash rust?
That was a tank dryer he put the tank on. It blows warm air into the tank. For steel tanks, it's recommended to rinse with rust inhibitor prior to drying.

I always wondered how the air in the tank gets dried after the hydro. We saw in the video that the tank is inverted to drain. Yes, the water drains but not a lot of air circulates into the tank and how does the humidity in the tank decrease?
That was a tank dryer he put the tank on. It blows warm air into the tank.

@Compressor
Here is a screen shot from the video. The red arrows point to the tubes where warm dry air is blown into the tank for drying. This is about the 5:15 time mark on the video.

1658097929251.png

Back
Top Bottom