I am a shallow diver...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And when you can do a horizontal pirouette or fin upside down a foot off the bottom without stirring it up you've almost got it nailed.

When I dive fresh water I am a relatively shallow diver myself. In the lakes I usually cap 60 feet maximum unless there is a specific target I am looking for. I just feel like if I am there to enjoy the bottom time I am going to see the same type of rock there as I will at 100 feet plus I get more bottom time to enjoy it :)

Now in the ocean its diffrent! I have to get my deep water fixes there because with the clarity you generally get in only deep dive spots you cant help but enjoy the beauty of coral and wall dives :)

Greetings Sabbath and I agree with you the magic in between those two devils can be amazing! I to enjoyed a awesome dive experience experience in the very spot this past January.

We had finished training for the evening and while we did our deco stop in the eye I was amazed by those little flounders. Little did I know that the mullet were running just a the top of the eye. When we came up it was like being on stage at a concert.
The lights were reflecting off the schools of mullet and it was one of the most spectacular images I have ever seen underwater. There were big ones little ones and the bass were eating them while we were present. It was unbelievable.

When we surfaced something very large struck into the large mullet school we ducted down but saw only a large shadow head back out to the river.
I was so transfixed our instructor told us to hang out and observe, just no penetration of cavern or cave. She did allow us to descend into Little Devil in search of the crawfish.
It was one of the most fantastic shallow dives I have ever seen and plan on videoing the next encounter. The night was magic and I hated to get out of the water.
Mullet, fresh water eels, flounders, bass, blue gills, catfish, and the spotted crawfish were in varying numbers but very active that night.
One of the moments that I replay in my mind when I need to go to the happy place to help remove myself from the grind of normal life.

I do believe in magic and if you are lucky enough to see it for real you are never the same! Kudos to you my brother!

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

I like shallow dives as well, a buddy and I clean up on early morning shallow dives hitting the local boater hangouts.You wouldn't believe how many pairs of Oakleys I have found, My wife is enjoying a $200 pair of sunglasses herself courtesy of a shallow dive 8'.

I even like to like on my back on a bright sunny day too enjoy the view....

I love shallow dives and the buoyancy challenges. Gas seems to last forever. I had one fantastically relaxing night dive in Anilao Philippines where we never dropped below 30ft, stayed down for 92 minutes and surfaced with ½ an Al 80 left ;-). It was just so relaxing.

The Pet Cemetery Cavern near Tulum, Mexico was another really memorable shallow dive. Max depth 23 ft, 49 minute BT. It had absolutely beautiful geologic features in the decorated caverns & lots of fun buoyancy challenges moving up and down with the terrain.

Another fun dive was with Lynne & Bob in Seattle. I doubt we dropped deeper than 30ft but had a great time looking for the illusive lump suckers in eel grass ;-)

On a calm day here in Hilo, I'll happily spend an entire dive in 10 - 15 feet of water, watching the sea turtles play. I'll hover for 10 minutes at a time (good buoyancy practice for me) just watching the sea life swim by.... and by staying still, you'll begin to see more critters come out and play....

Shallow Rules! :D

Best wishes.

I have done heaps of shallow diving actually. The shore diving around here tends to be in 10m or less and I often do night shore dives during the week and on the weekend if I can't get on the boat. In summer it is nice because I can do a dive for over two and a half hours on one tank :) In winter the cold tends to drive me out after about 80-90mins but that is still a decent length dive.

Also it has helped enormously with my buoyancy... One guy I did my Cave course with came out with me for a shallow night dive last week and after the dive said 'I can see where you get your buoyancy control from!'

One of my favourite shallowist dives was at a place called Ewens Ponds. Three ponds that get down to about 10m but the ponds are connected via these shallow passages with beautiful scenery in them that are about 1m. I actually spent more time in the passages than the ponds themselves....

4449740539_aa5ca12641.jpg

4449749705_d835566ede.jpg

4845848931_4b3d37fa1f.jpg

My last dives was an average depth of about 12 feet, max 16' and was 103 minutes. I surfaced with lots of air left to continue the dive but we were at the exit and my buddy was low'ish on air because he started with less than a full tank. The location was not pretty, but it was still awesome to be underwater for that long. I have always preferred a long shallow dives over short deep dives unless there really is something interesting at depth.

I also have to agree. One of my favorite dives was a year ago before Morrisons re-opened. A bunch of us just had to get in the basin and cavern for a dive and we put in down at the boat ramp and had a really nice slow mid water dive up the run. The water was exceptionally clear, like the air on a mountaintop in winter. Me, Willardj, The Bugman, Snepdiver, & Krafcheck hung out at mid water just easing up the run. We were spread out all across the water and you could see from side to side and each other. Everyone's trim was spot on that day and it was just a cool site to see. Zigzagging our way to the basin was just as enjoyable as our time in the cavern and then chasing the flounder around. The return down the run was almost as enjoyable. The only reason it wasn't was because we knew we were returning to end the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom