I am a shallow diver...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People might say "well, why not just snorkle it?"

Well... SCUBA is simply more fun than snorkling... DUH! Seriously, though, when taking pictures or just communing with nature, there's nothing like hovering weightless mid water (even though that water is only a couple of feet above and below you), hanging out and being one with the world around you. As a photographer, I can just hang there or settle to the bottom if it is sandy and wait for the fish to get used to me being there to the point where they ignore me... works great.
I'm not sure that scuba is more fun than snorkeling--I can snorkel for hours on end on a shallow reef--but I agree that taking pictures while on the surface is much more challenging. If there's any chop, it's impossible to take anything more than a snapshot. Whether diving or snorkeling, I like to get at least 10 feet deep to get into some quieter water.

And of course, no discussion of very shallow diving would be complete without a mention of NoHoch na Chih, one of the most decorated cave systems in the Yucatan, with an average depth of about 15 feet:

heavensgate212_std.jpg

That is exactly why I'm wanting to learn to cave dive! (although the FL caves aren't at all bad either). I so badly want to see that.

That is exactly why I'm wanting to learn to cave dive! (although the FL caves aren't at all bad either). I so badly want to see that.

I seem to remember some cave dives in Kentucky. Look out in your own back yard! That was in the 1970's... Don't know as how the general public can get in them anymore, but....

One of the best dives in the PNW is in 20 fsw or less along the rocks at Sekiu. This isn't just an interesting shallow dive...it's interesting by any standard.

For me it's the exception out here though. Most of the other shallower sites aren't as interesting (to me) as the deeper sites.

In Hawaii, there's plenty to see at 10 fsw in many cases. I guess it all depends on the specific site.

Some pics from the river mouth estuary at Pomene (south-central Mozambique). I loved this dive spot, apart from the shallow depth (no more than 5m) and the resulting good light, the tide makes it a very pleasant dive. You start your dive as the incoming tide turns which means you get to drift right up the estuary and eventually the tide brings you back an hour later to the exact spot you entered. Lots of juvenile stuff and all sorts of interesting critters to be found.

Melibe viridis - hands down the weirdest nudibranch I have seen
20634_278066114253_536534253_4428077_2719529_n.jpg

Zebra Turkeyfish (Dendrochirus zebra) - a tiny tiny tiny one
20634_276274344253_536534253_4417776_5644292_n.jpg

Devil Firefish (Pterois miles) - also a juvenile
20634_277973969253_536534253_4427667_4658519_n.jpg

Seagrass Filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus)
20634_276274729253_536534253_4417827_1958607_n.jpg

Sea Pony (Hippocampus fuscus)
20634_277973979253_536534253_4427668_4235659_n.jpg

I seem to remember some cave dives in Kentucky. Look out in your own back yard! That was in the 1970's... Don't know as how the general public can get in them anymore, but....

There may be. I don't know. I have not heard of any that are accessable. The closest accessable cave I am aware of is Cannonball in MO.

Last winter, I did several dives with NW Grateful Diver, where we went hunting lumpsuckers. These are charming little fish that look like miniature helicopters, and they're found in 10 feet or so of water. We spent over an hour in the shallow eelgrass, watching them and also finding stubby squid, market squid, pipefish and other interesting eelgrass denizens.

In December I did about 20 dives there with various people. Never got below 20 feet, and most of the dives were in 10-15 feet of water. I wrote an article for our dive club newsletter. Not sure if I ever posted it on ScubaBoard ... so I will now ...

Night Moves - the Delights of "The 'Dond"

Night has always been my favorite time to dive. That’s when a lot of Puget Sound’s underwater natives come out to feed and breed. Dive sites suddenly fill up with all sorts of interesting creatures that you just don’t see during the day. And sometimes a part of a dive site that you usually avoid because it seems boring or lacking in life can suddenly take on a whole new level of excitement. Such was the case recently at one of my favorite dive sites in the south Sound – Redondo.

I arrived on a cold, mid-December evening about a half-hour before sunset. My dive buddy Casey and I had heard rumors of Pacific Spiny Lumpsuckers in an eelgrass bed on the north side of the beach, and we were intent on finding out if these elusive little fish were really there. We put our gear together as the sun set behind the crest of the Olympic Mountains, and as darkness settled in we entered at the beach north of Salty’s Restaurant. Dropping down without a surface swim we made our way down to a depth of about 10 feet and turned north, toward the eelgrass beds. This would be a very shallow dive, and one we hoped would turn up one of the Puget Sound’s most elusive and sought-after little fish. As it turned out, we found much more than we hoped for.

The ebbing tide created a mild current pushing us in the direction we wanted to go. Before long we found the eelgrass beds and slowly swam along the downslope edge looking to see what we could find. I’d been to these beds in daylight, and considered them rather boring. With darkness, however, came a whole different perspective. The eelgrass was just teeming with life. Schools of tubesnouts were swimming around, their prominent pectoral fins moving them gracefully as they fed on the tiny creatures living in this botanical nursery. A larger green shape turned out to be a penpoint gunnel, lying in wait for an unwary tubesnout to swim by.

IMG_5103.jpg

Hooded nudibranchs, gracefully undulating as they encapsulated bits of floating plankton, provided a nice photo opportunity.

IMG_5114.jpg

And then, perched on a blade of grass like a tiny golden jewel, we found the object of our quest - a lumpsucker, barely an inch long. As I angled in for a picture, our lights startled him off his perch and he started swimming around like a golden bumblebee, weaving between blades of grass and making it a challenge to get a picture. He was such an odd-looking little creature I was torn between the attempt at a picture and just sitting back chuckling at his funny behavior. But at last I got the shot I wanted and it was time to move on.

IMG_5126.jpg

We found several more lumpsuckers that evening, but there was so much more to see. At one point I found myself looking at a piece of eelgrass that seemed to be looking back at me. And I realized it wasn’t eelgrass at all, but a green bay pipefish, aligned perfectly to blend in with surroundings. I snapped another picture and moved on.

IMG_5607.jpg

A tiny red octopus – smaller than the tip of my thumb – moved along the bottom, seeking to make a meal out of one of the hundreds of miniature crabs that lived here.

IMG_5447.jpg

Tiny comb jellies, catching the reflection of our lights, cast shimmering waves of color as they drifted along. Overhead a moon jelly moved gently by with the current.

IMG_5073.jpg

The eelgrass beds had transformed into a miniature forest with multitudes of diverse life forms interacting with each other in a kind of enchanted dance that we – the uninvited guests – were privileged to see.

IMG_5639.jpg

And suddenly, out of the darkness – flying at us like little jets – came a school of opalescent squid. Apparently they were attracted to our lights. But as quickly as they appeared, they decided we weren’t food, inked, and disappeared – leaving us with a “what the heck just happened” moment. That was exciting.

IMG_5355.jpg

But now we were 40 minutes into our dive and it was time to turn and head back toward the beach.

We found even more lumpsuckers on the way back. One even tried swimming into my camera lens as I was taking its picture. It reminded me of a tiny orange helicopter with its landing gear down.

IMG_5734.jpg

As we left the eelgrass beds behind we found yet another treasure of the night – a marbled snailfish. I hadn’t seen one of these fish in a long time, and was quite thrilled to see it here. In its classic pose it looks so much like a three-inch long puppy begging for attention.

IMG_5526.jpg

IMG_5528.jpg

Finally it was time to turn upslope toward the beach. But one last thrill remained. In about 4 feet of water, just as we were preparing to end the dive and stand up, Casey spotted an opalescent squid hovering just above the rocks. What a way to end the dive! We stopped for just a couple of minutes to take some pictures and watch it bobbing and weaving back and forth, trying to decide if our lights represented friend, foe, or food.

IMG_5110.jpg

Altogether it was an 80-minute dive of virtually non-stop activity! Rarely have I seen so many delightful creatures on a single dive. But this is what night diving in Puget Sound is all about.

Redondo has long been one of my favorite Puget Sound dive sites. And although it is a wonderful place to dive during the daylight hours, at night it can provide some of the very best diving that Puget Sound has to offer ... and on this night, it was all at less than 20 feet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Some of my favorite dives are conducting Discover Scuba Programs - especially with kids - in 8ft of water. I just really love being part of someone else's very first exposure to scuba diving!

Ray

Bob -- you got a picture of one of the things that hover in the water, and then go bury themselves when you look at them! I'm excited; now I can grab Andy Lamb's book and try to figure out what the dickens it is.

Bob -- you got a picture of one of the things that hover in the water, and then go bury themselves when you look at them! I'm excited; now I can grab Andy Lamb's book and try to figure out what the dickens it is.

It's a juvenile plainfin midshipman ... I took a LOT of pictures of them. That's the only one that came out ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom