I am happy with today's level of Diver Training!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I reallly enjoy reading Papa Bear's posts on here. They always get a big reaction. I just wonder what would happen if someone took away her exclamation point key.

You can take away the key, but not my excitement about the world I love^^^^^^^ or $$$$$$or iiiiiiiiiii up side down of course!!!!!! :wink:

I saw someone drive a nail with a Crescent Wrench, maybe he wasn't using the tool right? That being said I resent people going to places like Fiji and putting their values on someone who owns and makes a living on their reef! DMs in Fiji make a living on THEIR reef and if they want to "Dig out an Octo" or a "Lion Fish" (Funny the same fish we are supposed to kill in the Caribbean) to show a tourist I see no problem! They do a lot worse that you never see! So to blame the tool tells me a lot about your thinking process! I see Guns kill people not People, Right???? Some should think about climbing down from their high horse before they post stupid statements intended to put someone else down!

I think OW in general is okay, it leaves a lot out, but realistically students can probably only absorb so much until getting more experience.

AOW really irks me though, you get some experience but learn nothing new. The "academics" are a waste of time and teach little beyond common sense. AOW would be a great chance to actually greatly work on bouyancy (maybe some confined water sessions?), learn more about decompression theory, learn about advanced gas management, learn about current predictions, learn more about equipment, etc: but unless you get an instructor who teaches way above the standards, you see little to none of this. The real danger is the deep dive and the subsequent 100 feet certification, which all happens without the slightest bit of gas management education (beyond "check your SPG more"). AOW could be a great course for those who want to be more than vacation divers, but beyond a few new skills and some experience it is a waste of time with most instructors.

It actually depends on whose AOW class you take. If you learn nothing new in mine then you will certainly not pass it. The latest comment I received about it came from my latest student. He said it was an EDUCATIONAL and HUMBLING experience. You will learn alot of new skills and even more about yourself and your abilities, or lack of them. I do not teach a fluff tour AOW course. And in reality no one should.

...before they post stupid statements intended to put someone else down!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please take your own advice.

PB, Being passionate is one thing and I appreciate yours but this forum is for new divers and encouraging them to dive safe and have fun, not for getting into arguments with those whose opinion's you disagree with.

I saw someone drive a nail with a Crescent Wrench, maybe he wasn't using the tool right? That being said I resent people going to places like Fiji and putting their values on someone who owns and makes a living on their reef! DMs in Fiji make a living on THEIR reef and if they want to "Dig out an Octo" or a "Lion Fish" (Funny the same fish we are supposed to kill in the Caribbean) to show a tourist I see no problem! They do a lot worse that you never see! So to blame the tool tells me a lot about your thinking process! I see Guns kill people not People, Right???? Some should think about climbing down from their high horse before they post stupid statements intended to put someone else down!

So you are condoning the prodding of wildlife as long as everybody is having a good time? Do you also feed the bears when you visit the forest? The same DM also grabbed hold of a turtle to show it to a group of divers. Is it also OK to hold onto an air breathing animal just so the DM can 'make a living?'

I'm sorry, I guess I just can't get on board with your logic. Abusing the wildlife for entertainment or a living is not acceptable in my book.

To use your gun analogy we'd have to screen all 'rod' purchases for people who may be at risk of using them improperly just as gun purchasers have to be screened before purchasing a gun.

Funny, I don't remember saying anything you said I said, but in La La Land it is possible?

No I'm not really kidding. If they read the book enough to pass the test and performed the OW dives to even the worst instructors mastery definition and then they can't manage to look at their friggin' SPG occasionally, what makes you think they can comprehend management of gas?

Looking at an SPG is useless if they don't know what it means.

"Yep. It's not empty!"

Terry

Last edited:
Looking at an SPG is useless if they don't know what it means.

"Yep. It's not empty!"

Terry

Dude, nice out of context wait 5 pages try to get a reaction troll post. The conversation at the time was about me asking the guests I guide to tell me at half a tank (1500 psi - yes I tell them that is half the tank) and tell me at 1000 psi. They don't have to know what it means, just tell me when it hits those numbers!

I am of the opinion they were able to tell their instructor similar things, so blaming the instructor from years ago when they now can't remember to look at their SPG every 10 minutes or so is silly.

Sure, go ahead and teach all your OW students advanced gas management, and then most will just have even more in their soon to be forgotten short term memory. Unless one of my students shows the inclination / desire /ability to get it, why waste everyone's time.

I feel the OW Course when taught the way it's designed gives the new diver enough to do the dives intended for that level of certification.

Funny, I don't remember saying anything you said I said, but in La La Land it is possible?

Papa Bear meet Papa Bear.(!) It seems from the quoted text below it is OK in your book to dig critters out of their hiding places.(!)

I was using the reference to bears in the forest as an analogy.(!)

I also punctuated the sentences above to your liking.(!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom