I am interested in learning to Dive, but I am landlocked and I have physical disabilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One small detail. On both packages notice that the console has a separate pressure gauge? That means the computer is just a module at the top and does not get pressure readings thru the hose - why you need the separate spg. It does tell you the depth and do all the other computer functions like safety stop time, any deco obligations (not likely) and it tracks/logs your dives. They do a few other things also but those are the basics - some include pre-diving planners - mine has one but I've never used it.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GQQV5H...&pd_rd_r=d9b8b70c-a273-11e8-9205-3139c21ec8a0

Packages are not always the best deal but a good starting point. Leisurepro.com has a build-your-own package option you may want to play around with.

One point at least with the Aqualung package is make sure the seller is a licensed Aqualung dealer - most are actually dive shops with an Amazon storefront - since you'll need that for future warranty work - Aqualung is about the strictest for that.

I can't speak to your other issue but know that the used value of even new scuba gear is 50-60% of what you paid as soon as you get it wet.

Also with either brand - consider your service options. The regs at least will have to be serviced annaully (Cressi) or every other year (Aqualung) and given where you live likely you'll have to send them to Regtech in Chicago or Scubatoys in Dallas. Or Airtech in Raleign.

There's nothing wrong with either package except packages tend to be generic for an average price. Of the two, the Aqualung is the better gesr. Cressi is not as well known in the US and dealers may be harder to find. Aqualung has the most dealers worldwide of just about any of the major brands.

PADI or SSI (divessi.com) have shop locators on their websites - might give you a starting point for a semi-local shop.

One other thing - if you decide to buy from a scuba online retailer - call them. Some are required to show MSRP in their ads but can discount from that privately - or throw in some useful accessory to make the sale. Scubatoys has done that for me once.Within reason most online retailers have pretty liberal return/exchange policies if someothing doesn't fit - until you mark it or get it wet - then you own it.
It seems there a local dive shop here in town, but they have proven hard to get a hold of. Their website says they are open Fridays but when I try and call them no one answers the phone also being only open on Fridays it would be hard for me to go to their shop becuse I can't drive due to my CP (and our local bus system is really badly managed) so one of my parents would have to talk a day off just for me to go there. They offer dive classes but nothing is mentioned if they have anyone with adaptive training experience, So I have no idea if they would me able to teach my sister and I.

That will make it tougher obviously.

One thing you might consider is doing the e-learning then planning a trip somewhere to do your checkout dives.
https://apps.padi.com/scuba-diving/elearning/

Typically that will require 2 days to get
certified at a minimum because it's 4-5 dives and you can't do them all the same day,

Given your situation, it will likely take a couple more days to figure out the adaptations needed. But shops do it all the time - a guy from our shop is a permanent paraplegic and he dives - he uses webbed gloves to move. A woman in my group is a certified HSA buddy - she's not an instructor but accompanies special needs divers and provides assistance in the water as needed, She actually goes thru training with them. . .

It's not close but the Florida Keys are easy shallow diving that you could get to without int'l travel. Shops there would rent you just about everything needed but it's suggested to own your own mask, fins, boots, snorkel to be sure it fits. You don't want to be fighting gear problems while concentrating on learning to dive.

From Miami or Ft. Lauderdale there's reasonably priced shuttles that will drop you directly at Keys hotels - some in Key Largo like the Holiday Inn have reputable dive shops on site - actually I think there's 2 there on either side of the marina. It's pretty much all boat diving so you may as well stay close.

The MS/ventilator diver I mentioned - he dove with Conch Republic Divers in Tavernier. I wasn't there but saw the video - they put a ramp on the boat and helped him board then went to a shallow site and helped him dive.

Check Amy Slate's Amoray also - it's all on site there. One thing to check also is access - I've been to resorts in FL where everything between the buildings is sand so tougher going..

I might bypass your local shop unless you can work out something. And I wouldn't learn in cold water unless you have to - the buoyancy characteristics of all the gear are different. Your sis might have problems with the stiffness of the wetsuit also - the thicker needed the stiffer.

Start with Diveheart - they deal with these sorts of issues daily. Or have resources in your area that do.

That will make it tougher obviously.

One thing you might consider is doing the e-learning then planning a trip somewhere to do your checkout dives.
https://apps.padi.com/scuba-diving/elearning/

Typically that will require 2 days to get
certified at a minimum because it's 4-5 dives and you can't do them all the same day,

Given your situation, it will likely take a couple more days to figure out the adaptations needed. But shops do it all the time - a guy from our shop is a permanent paraplegic and he dives - he uses webbed gloves to move. A woman in my group is a certified HSA buddy - she's not an instructor but accompanies special needs divers and provides assistance in the water as needed, She actually goes thru training with them. . .

It's not close but the Florida Keys are easy shallow diving that you could get to without int'l travel. Shops there would rent you just about everything needed but it's suggested to own your own mask, fins, boots, snorkel to be sure it fits. You don't want to be fighting gear problems while concentrating on learning to dive.

From Miami or Ft. Lauderdale there's reasonably priced shuttles that will drop you directly at Keys hotels - some in Key Largo like the Holiday Inn have reputable dive shops on site - actually I think there's 2 there on either side of the marina. It's pretty much all boat diving so you may as well stay close.

The MS/ventilator diver I mentioned - he dove with Conch Republic Divers in Tavernier. I wasn't there but saw the video - they put a ramp on the boat and helped him board then went to a shallow site and helped him dive.

Check Amy Slate's Amoray also - it's all on site there. One thing to check also is access - I've been to resorts in FL where everything between the buildings is sand so tougher going..

I might bypass your local shop unless you can work out something. And I wouldn't learn in cold water unless you have to - the buoyancy characteristics of all the gear are different. Your sis might have problems with the stiffness of the wetsuit also - the thicker needed the stiffer.

Start with Diveheart - they deal with these sorts of issues daily. Or have resources in your area that do.

Ok emailed Diveheart.

Looking at some of the PADI stuff it doesn't look too hard to learn and boils down to mostly easy to follow stuff. Though I have a concern looking at the hand signals many of they are two handed and while (as long as get the prescription mask she can see with) I don't foresee my sister having issues understanding signals but she might have issues with doing some of the two handed signals.

So say my sister and I are able to go dive with Diveheart and not only enjoy but get an idea of what gear we would need to start with, get medically cleared, pass the PADI e learning thing, will we be still have issues getting certified if we can't swim the 200m can an instructor overlook the swim test as long as we can perform the other needed skills or will we need to for an instructor with adaptive training experience?

Given your combined disabilities, it seems an adaptive scuba instructor would be best.

what she said ^^

don't get hung up on signals - I know about 10 of them.

I really would first make sure you can be medically cleared to dive - the rest can be accommodated.

I do have an appointment with my doctor next month, I might at least talk to her about it and see if notices anything that might be an issue if I start diving

what she said ^^

don't get hung up on signals - I know about 10 of them.

I really would first make sure you can be medically cleared to dive - the rest can be accommodated.
Agreed - don't worry about the hand signals. The most important ones can be done with one hand, and for the numbers there is an alternative one-handed system that is commonly used in technical diving, where you often don't have both hands free or don't want to move the hand that holds the light.

Show this to her. If she'll sign it - you can be certified.

https://www.padi.com/sites/default/files/documents/padi-courses/2.1.5 rstc medstate v201.pdf

Anyone you go thru will have something similar.
Does that "expire" after so long after a doctor signs it? It could be upwards of a couple years before I actually start looking to getting certified and my doctor's office charges a fee to sign paperwork, yeah it is only $15 but if it is only go for like 6 months to year after signed then that kinda be a waste

Back
Top Bottom