I am interested in learning to Dive, but I am landlocked and I have physical disabilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you aren't willing to commit $15 to find out if you can dive...

Come back when you're SERIOUS!!

If you aren't willing to commit $15 to find out if you can dive...

Come back when you're SERIOUS!!
Oh I still going to talk to her about it, if I have to wait for maybe a couple years before I can see about diving this gives me time to start working any issues she might have, so then I have to get signed once a few months before my trip instead of her signing 2 maybe 3 time. And if she doesn't find other issues or concerns that will make things easier when I do have her signed.

So show her the form and ask her if she would sign it if you paid the $15 - really until you have medical clearance no one is going to be able to certify you

You even need one for Discover Dives.

Hey @DiveHeart have you guys seen this thread?

I remember a few years ago when I was looking into getting engaged with Diveheart on behalf of my son who has muscular dystrophy (charcot-marie-tooth type 1a) that you guys can be hard to get engaged with. Not that I'm trying to naysay the good works you do, but I was never able to get a dialog going with anyone from the org. Everyone pointed me to web pages so that I could donate. Hopefully @Pettyfan45 will have more luck.

Those are only good for a year.
So you have to get medical waivers signed yearly, even if you are certified? I am assuming that every time you dive you still have to fill that form out for the current dive company you are diving with.

I'm currently trying to get medically cleared due to asthma, and it's taken like 3 weeks thus far and I have my 3rd (and hopefully final) appointment tomorrow to do some pulmonary function tests. I really hope that I don't have to do this every year if I want to continue to dive after I get certified.

So you have to get medical waivers signed yearly, even if you are certified? I am assuming that every time you dive you still have to fill that form out for the current dive company you are diving with.

I'm currently trying to get medically cleared due to asthma, and it's taken like 3 weeks thus far and I have my 3rd (and hopefully final) appointment tomorrow to do some pulmonary function tests. I really hope that I don't have to do this every year if I want to continue to dive after I get certified.
I *think* unless you have a deteriorative condition you only need to do this once, though if I am wrong please correct me

The medical waivers are required for training. For someone with ongoing issues such as the OP and his sister, I wouldn’t be surprised if they had to get a doc’s sign off each year.

I have allergy issues bad enough that I answer yes on diving medical waiver questionnaires. The doc’s sign off is only good for a year. These are required if you’re doing any sort of training. As I’ve had classes each year since 2016, I’ve had to get a doc’s sign off each year.

The medical waivers are required for training. For someone with ongoing issues such as the OP and his sister, I wouldn’t be surprised if they had to get a doc’s sign off each year.

I have allergy issues bad enough that I answer yes on diving medical waiver questionnaires. The doc’s sign off is only good for a year. These are required if you’re doing any sort of training. As I’ve had classes each year since 2016, I’ve had to get a doc’s sign off each year.
Where is this documented? I tried searching the web and didn't find anything about having to get a newly signed waiver every year. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering where it is stated that it's necessary.

I have asthma (very mild now at 36) which is why I'm trying to get medically cleared, instead of lying on the form. My asthma has only gotten better as I've gotten older. I also suffer from seasonal allergies too but nothing out of the ordinary.

Maybe it's also because I've never dove outside of a DSD course, which required me to fill out that medical questionnaire, but I assumed that whenever you go diving, even after you are certified, that you have to fill out those medical questionnaires still, and that I'd have to carry my waiver with me.

Where is this documented? I tried searching the web and didn't find anything about having to get a newly signed waiver every year. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering where it is stated that it's necessary.

I have asthma (very mild now at 36) which is why I'm trying to get medically cleared, instead of lying on the form. My asthma has only gotten better as I've gotten older. I also suffer from seasonal allergies too but nothing out of the ordinary.

Maybe it's also because I've never dove outside of a DSD course, which required me to fill out that medical questionnaire, but I assumed that whenever you go diving, even after you are certified, that you have to fill out those medical questionnaires still, and that I'd have to carry my waiver with me.

You with your asthma might be a different animal.

I’ve done all my training through one shop (DRIS, SDI). Medical form required to be signed for DSD, July 2016. That covered me through my immediately following OW class and a few specialties in the spring of 2017. Had to get another one for the remainder of the 2017 season training. Due to both my allergies and a leg requiring PT after a shingles attack earlier this year, I had to get a waiver signed for this summer’s sidemount class, which was a month after 2017 waiver expired. As I plan on one class a year the next few years as I progress into tech, I’ll have one done each year. My doc doesn’t mind. She has other patients who are divers, including an instructor.

I’ve also read here that LOB and such may require a medical waiver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom