I drank the GUE Fundies Kool-Aid and survived!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But why must every DIR discussion get back to his colorful rants? After all, the guy was never a GUE instructor ... and AFAIK, he never claimed to represent the agency.

I wonder if he'd be able to pass some of the fundies standards these days?

I wonder if he'd be able to pass some of the fundies standards these days?

OH NO YOU DI'UNT

The real question is whether he still has the Qi to push Grand Master Mount backwards while being held against a knife. :coffee:

No .. you got that wrong. He said they were "farm animal stupid".

But why must every DIR discussion get back to his colorful rants? After all, the guy was never a GUE instructor ... and AFAIK, he never claimed to represent the agency.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sorry, Bob, I got it right.

The Bakers Dozen - 13 reasons why we do not use 80/20. by George Irvine

13.Only a card-carrying stroke would do somethng like this, and showing up with 80/20 is no different than wearing a sign on your back saying "I am a stroke, and have the papers to prove it". It announces to all the world that you have no clue, kind of like wearing clip-on suspenders or having dog dirt on your shoes.

Actually, this discussion got to him because someone (now who was that?) brought up his initials and quoted him, and Sam wanted to know who he was.

The discussion was about the negative feelings some people have about the term DIR, not GUE. He did invent the term, did he not?

He predates me, but his echoes permeated the very atmosphere when I first learned what DIR was about. As someone who is now taking DIR instruction, I am very aware that people have to be careful when using the term. A little over a month ago, I used ScubaBoard to look for potential shore dive buddies in Hawaii. I found a very nice guy who was an excellent host. When we started talking, he warned me that he was DIR, but he immediately sought to alleviate any fears I might have about diving with him.

BTW, I want to make it very clear that I have no such fears. As I said, I am receiving DIR instruction, I have dived with a number of very nice DIR divers, and I have never personally dived with a DIR diver who was anything other than a pleasure to be with. In these posts I am trying to point out why people often feel as they do.

The discussion was about the negative feelings some people have about the term DIR, not GUE. He did invent the term, did he not?
I thought this discussion was to congratulate Sam on her successful accomplishment of what can be a difficult class ... and to reassure her friends that a lot of what you read on the Internet has no basis in the real world.

George Irvine doesn't even dive anymore, to my knowledge. He's moved on ... we should too ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Rant on:
I'm just tired people coming up to me because I dive a backplate, and complaining about some little thing they heard, either fact or fiction from someone or somewhere; then expecting me to defend the made up position that I've never heard before.

One of the more interesting ones I've heard is that there is a DIR mandate that all divers need to wear the same size Jet Fins, and something to the point of sharing fins in an emergency was dumb.

Rant off:

I once had a dive shop owner tell me that a Federal law required having a NITROX banner on any tank containing nitrox!

The dude owned a PADI shop ... maybe I should hold that bit of ignorance against everyone who's ever been certified with PADI ... :rofl3:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

George Irvine doesn't even dive anymore, to my knowledge. He's moved on ... we should too ...

That is my understanding too. Apparently, his name is not, at least forcefully, brought up in the (short?) GUE/DIR history presentation which one would assume is part of an introductory course like DIR-F, since Sam did not recognize his name. Some people are trying to move on.

I once had a dive shop owner tell me that a Federal law required having a NITROX banner on any tank containing nitrox!

The dude owned a PADI shop ... maybe I should hold that bit of ignorance against everyone who's ever been certified with PADI ... :rofl3:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Add to that all the PADI idiots that will try to rescue you if you put your mask on your forehead... Anyone with one of those cards is nothing more than a goose stepping thug that wants to tell me how to dive...

Add to that all the PADI idiots that will try to rescue you if you put your mask on your forehead... Anyone with one of those cards is nothing more than a goose stepping thug that wants to tell me how to dive...

:confused: whooa Lamont...a joke is a joke but...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom