I drank the GUE Fundies Kool-Aid and survived!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So am I understanding this correctlly, GI was a SB member who posted often while offended many with his DIR rants on SB and on other sites?? I did a member search and he does not come up.

Oddly enough there were internet diving forums before SB.:wink: By the time SB got going George had started to wrap things up diving wise but his reputation was already known far and wide from his participation in other places, especially Techdiver. I seriously doubt SB would have let George on here anyway, even if he wanted to join.

For classic George stuff the best place to go is to the Techdiver archives. Try Aquanaut Mailing List Archive Service and search for "Irvine" or "Trey" or "GIII". All should bring up some of his posts; the good, the bad, and the ugly.

That is my understanding too. Apparently, his name is not, at least forcefully, brought up in the (short?) GUE/DIR history presentation which one would assume is part of an introductory course like DIR-F, since Sam did not recognize his name. Some people are trying to move on.

I recognize his name pre-Fundies from it being mentioned or referred to in many SB threads and usually when the word stroke was being used. From someone's post in this thread, I assumed GI was a SB member, my bad for assuming. Would appear that GI is a public relations nightmare for DIR and largely responsible for the negativity that follows DIR and agencies that teach DIR. I believe he was mentioned very briefly in class but not enough for me to remember what was said and definitely not in detail like he is in this thread. The term DIR was also rarely used in class if at all.

I thought this discussion was to congratulate Sam on her successful accomplishment of what can be a difficult class ... and to reassure her friends that a lot of what you read on the Internet has no basis in the real world.

George Irvine doesn't even dive anymore, to my knowledge. He's moved on ... we should too ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
This discussion was not to congratulate me but help me understand the animosity toward GUE and its teachings. I had no prior dealings with GUE until demo day with Bob and Ed and my week with Bob. In all my interactions with GUE and throughout class GUE did not come off as the scary evil empire who wants to convert and take over the diving world. It's about streamlined gear, safe team diving, improving basic skills so that they can be done with precision which only adds to a positive diving experience.

Actually, this discussion got to him because someone (now who was that?) brought up his initials and quoted him, and Sam wanted to know who he was.

I should have done some research on GI and DIR before starting this thread but I did not realize the contentious history, naive on my part so I apologize for opening old wounds and old debates. Let's all look forward and move on as Bob posted above.

It ain't swearin' if you smile while you're sayin' it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As anyone on SB who has met me in person, I'm a naturally happy person who is always smiling so regardless if I'm using foul language (Trace's words), swearin' (your words) or using "questionable" language (my words) I am always smiling. :wink:

Add to that all the PADI idiots that will try to rescue you if you put your mask on your forehead... Anyone with one of those cards is nothing more than a goose stepping thug that wants to tell me how to dive...

"The Way the World Learns to Dive" ... if you ain't PADI certified, you're either not a diver, or you're not from this planet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Oddly enough there were internet diving forums before SB.:wink: By the time SB got going George had started to wrap things up diving wise but his reputation was already known far and wide from his participation in other places, especially Techdiver. I seriously doubt SB would have let George on here anyway, even if he wanted to join.

For classic George stuff the best place to go is to the Techdiver archives. Try Aquanaut Mailing List Archive Service and search for "Irvine" or "Trey" or "GIII". All should bring up some of his posts; the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks, I will but am sure it's all bad and ugly but if I come across any good, I'll let ya know. :D

I thought this discussion was to congratulate Sam on her successful accomplishment of what can be a difficult class ... and to reassure her friends that a lot of what you read on the Internet has no basis in the real world.

We did that. Now it's time to move on to the fun stuff.

George Irvine doesn't even dive anymore, to my knowledge. He's moved on ... we should too ...

To forget the past is to be doomed to repeat it.

Oh man ... there are parts of my past I would LOVE to repeat. There was this one girl in college ... :shocked2:

(you DID say it's time to move on to the fun stuff)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ya know what, on second thought, I think I'll skip the read, from the two I read on that site he sounds like a real a-hole. The last one I read his response to the poster was "to grab the kneepads and make yourself useful". :shakehead:

So I'm done reading any of his posts. I'd rather not waste any more of my time reading his posts. He is obvious miserable in his life and hell bent on spreading his unhappiness to others by lashing out at them.

No one said to forget, we just said to move on.

Oh man ... there are parts of my past I would LOVE to repeat. There was this one girl in college ... :shocked2:

(you DID say it's time to move on to the fun stuff)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

...yeah, go on, girl in college... the suspense is killing me....:popcorn::popcorn:

...yeah, go on, girl in college... the suspense is killing me....:popcorn::popcorn:

Ohh I bet she did all of his homework so he could go diving everyday...

Michael

Ohh I bet she did all of his homework so he could go diving everyday...

Michael

That's the Disney Channel version, we want the director's cut ...:popcorn:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom