I drank the GUE Fundies Kool-Aid and survived!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I the 200th poster of this thread :wink:

Great thread...thanks to the OP! Some interesting debate...and, shockingly, no major arguements on a 200 post DIR/GUE topic! Sweet!

Some interesting debate...and, shockingly, no major arguements on a 200 post DIR/GUE topic! Sweet!

You just *had* to go there - didn't ya :wink: I was thinking the same thing but held my tongue ....

But it really has been nice. Civil sharing of ideas and seemingly an agreement that it's ok to disagree. Very cool.

Henrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderjohn View Post
Actually, this discussion got to him because someone (now who was that?) brought up his initials and quoted him, and Sam wanted to know who he was.

I should have done some research on GI and DIR before starting this thread but I did not realize the contentious history, naive on my part so I apologize for opening old wounds and old debates. Let's all look forward and move on as Bob posted above.

It was I who erred. You received some PMs that surprised you, and you asked a question about the history. There were some statements by others made concerning that history. I tried to add some information to the discussion. I tried to separate what I was saying about that past history and what certain people said from my own feelings and beliefs, but apparently I did a poor job.

As a result, a lot of vitriol was thrown my way. I hope it was just because the posters did not realize I was speaking as something of an historian responding to a question about history rather than voicing my own feelings, but I doubt it.

Anyway, I learned my lesson. I will be very cautious before entering this area in the future.

Tom - I read a few more GI posts hoping to come across some down to earth and meaningful advice and I gotta say, he is not impressing me. He seems angry at the whole world. How does someone get to be this miserable, and if he's not miserable and this is his usually demeanor, I can understand why so many are turned off by DIR. I am trying to be open-minded in reading his posts but I must be clicking on all the wrong ones.

You're mistaking his posts as angry and miserable when in fact they were more or less done as entertainment. Sort of the internet equivalent of kicking an anthill just to watch the fun. Not everyone thinks that internet interactions have to be all puppies and bunnies.

And as Lynn pointed out you have to consider the time.

I've never seen one of his videos but if his posts are any indication of his personality there must be anger in his eyes 24/7.

Snap judgements must be your gig.

Sam, you also have to consider the posts in relevance to the time. GI3 was reacting to what he saw as some hazardous ideas being taught and practiced, and the one thing his rants did WAS to make people at least think about things. A quiet voice may be more persuasive one on one, but a loud, raucous voice may reach more people :)

He made me think. After listening to George's rants for 5 or 6 years, I took up DIR around 1999 so I could try the system and tell George that he was wrong. Because I was sure he was.

It's obvious how that went.

I think wearing nut huggers for such an extended about of time would make any male grumpy and short tempered.

I know when I tried it it made every one around me grumpy and short tempered.

I know when I tried it it made every one around me grumpy and short tempered.

Heck, I got that reaction just puttin' on a Fusion ... :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

He made me think. After listening to George's rants for 5 or 6 years, I took up DIR around 1999 so I could try the system and tell George that he was wrong. Because I was sure he was.

If George was wrong, no one would have gave him the time of day. The fact that he offended so many gives merit to his posts.

haha funny!

What's the term for male camel toe?
Yuck! That was one visual I could have gone this entire thread without...:shakehead:

Am I the 200th poster of this thread :wink:

Great thread...thanks to the OP! Some interesting debate...and, shockingly, no major arguements on a 200 post DIR/GUE topic! Sweet!
Nope, but you're 201 poster. I can't take credit for the great thread, it took many to make it a great thread. Yes, everyone was very civil. Give yourselves a hand :clapping:

It was I who erred. You received some PMs that surprised you, and you asked a question about the history. There were some statements by others made concerning that history. I tried to add some information to the discussion. I tried to separate what I was saying about that past history and what certain people said from my own feelings and beliefs, but apparently I did a poor job.

As a result, a lot of vitriol was thrown my way. I hope it was just because the posters did not realize I was speaking as something of an historian responding to a question about history rather than voicing my own feelings, but I doubt it.

Anyway, I learned my lesson. I will be very cautious before entering this area in the future.
No, I should have Googled GI or read up on more old DIR thread before popping out this thread. Wouldn't hurt being a bit of a historian given I'm using the system. I promise to be a better history student. :D

You're mistaking his posts as angry and miserable when in fact they were more or less done as entertainment. Sort of the internet equivalent of kicking an anthill just to watch the fun. Not everyone thinks that internet interactions have to be all puppies and bunnies.

And as Lynn pointed out you have to consider the time.

Snap judgements must be your gig.
Yep, I am the MOST judgmental person you will every meet. :wink: We can agree that our versions of entertainment vary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom