I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forget the ponies and goats. You need a couple of cows. You can name one of them "Chuck", the smaller ones "Veal", and fancy breeds you get "Sir Loin", and the old stringy ones "Brisket".

It's hard enough keeping up with Ma~ and Silt. Now you want me to have lions and tigers and bears, oh my! (keeping the Wizard of Oz theme).

You can handle lions and tigers and bears (oh, my). You are The Great and Powerful Chairman!

You can handle lions and tigers and bears (oh, my). You are The Great and Powerful Chairman!

How did this thread get on football now?

Insulation is up, save for a few pieces here and there. I've rewired a bit more, running the port and starboard to the front of the shop. I'm pulling the 14 gauge wire that was going to it and replacing it with 12 gauge wire and standardizing the height of the sockets at the same. That will be 48 wall sockets throughout the shop. Skinning the inside now with the white hardboard. I have to cut ONE STINKING INCH off the ends to get them to fit. That's just stoooopid.

Two thirds of the starboard side is done. The one field has been finally mowed and the other field is coming along nicely. Thanks @Moose!!! He also got up on the roof and put the tin back. My knees are killing me, but we are making lots of progress.

Funny story: I bought a Zero Turn Mower to handle the ten acres and you've probably read about how we fought the lawn, but the lawn won! Yesterday, Dan pulled the mower on the trailer and I got under it and found that the belt had only popped off the pulleys. In five minutes, it was back together and Dan backed it off the trailer and poing: the belt broke. I guess the stick that had caused the issue injured the belt. We went to Byrd's Mower and got two more belts. I put the first on, replace the blades and Dan takes off mowing. 20 minutes later, he's loading up the hoist to go pull up the mower. WHAT??? AGAIN??? I am flummoxed. I walk out to the mower, fully convinced that I am missing something, and we jack up the back. Something is really screwy as the front of the belt is all ground off. Crap. There is a large bolt that holds a spring to tension the pullies. I missed and ran the belt on the wrong side of the pulley. I wonder if three belts in one day is a record??? :D :D :D She's working well now! Woot! Woot!

The zero turn is worthy of RTFM and just letting anyone operate it can lead to problems. Especially, understanding how to adjust and maintain the settings of the cutting deck will be the difference between amazing performance and meh. When you hit something, don't assume everything is still ok. Any odd sounding noise means stop and figure it out. They are great machines.
From six weeks ago but still true.

Ray, you're right. RTFM.

Two weeks ago we finished mowing the entire lawn. It's so nice to be able to see the entire place and even the neighbors. Mowing it again without the 8 ft high patches is far, far easier. I'm estimating 8 hours to mow the whole thing. The work shop is coming along slowly since my knees have been complaining. I'm installing a 36" fan in the back wall, redoing a bit of wiring here and there. @Moose still continues to be a great help.

So far though, I've lost 37 pounds. I grabbed a pair of grey shorts yesterday, and was wondering why they were as tight as they were, until I realized they were the ones I wore at the Jambo in 2005. That was kind of cool. No.That was way cool. Looking forward to breaking 40 pounds lost.

On the kitten side, they got a condo this week:

so-jhwYR47K67Pqx2jAx3ZhWi87iUfyXEEx0OxBeU3dmT8yOA8hDOTh3Lawl3mXo9CLvFJOopbWrVoSqtHA=w689-h918-no.jpg

First afraid of heights, Silt now loves to conquer the top. Not to be outdone, Ma~ has decided to become a bat and play in the rafters. She kind of likes it up there.

TDbxEBV4QH7-hYNBZgGOb96G2dlcHmYNLJKxRFx6qZpElV_g6Yup8gAtqG5vNwuHM-GpjVVK0hGNt2rljY=w1224-h918-no.jpg

I was working on some wiring when I heard her talking to me. She loves to talk, talk, talk. It doesn't matter no one understands her, she just keeps on meowing. I looked around me, but to no avail. I walked out the door and looked on the roof, but she wasn't up there. Then she spoke again and I knew she was inside. I finally looked up to see her trying to paw me. Thinking she was stuck, I got the ladder and climbed up to get her down. She skittered away to another spot in the rafters and laid down. Like I said: she likes it up there.

I am taking this slow... too slow at times it seems, but I don't want to reinjure my knee and I've felt it get stronger day by day. Yes, I'm still limping, and going into stores can be painful, but progress is being made. Sometimes, I also feel like I take two steps forward, and then recalculate and have to redo one of those steps. All the 110V wiring is done. But, now I'm going back to redo two boxes by adding smart switches and converting the duplexes to "decorator" style.

One of the things that's hampering me is how congested the shop is. I have shelves in the middle of the shop and they just don't belong there. I haven't moved things to the walls, because I haven't finished the walls yet. I can't finish the walls until I finish the electric. I've spent some time consolidating "stuff" and removing extraneous stuff from the shop. One of the things I've walked around is the 36" fan. I don't need it to be mobile and I don't want it too high or too low. So I took it apart, found I needed just a little over 12" and made a frame out of 2X12. It's probably overkill, but I added a grate to the front and insect screen on the back. I really like the way it came out and it seems to put out far, far more air than before.

lVbsujmxghTCTNCwJKMb9MeqhWOuOwJsxEbpPG1lGvgeX0F-mk7oUlvXB8ddGCniWtLGpJSfWkti6xBfdB0=w689-h918-no.jpg

All boxed in and painted.

EgWljLBjjqV3MmMhYSTa6L_DHGrCNorSwtxROWvji-g-UOI0ve-hwtf7MUtIVync-fZz9R52rMGD6HGXA6Q=w689-h918-no.jpg

The fan is on and running. The black against the gloss white looks sharp.

WdORQMWxiaUEDAsUFAG2jyFydVpwl9hrfH3MWGnq4qN-2sZLcznzgvUObYu1rbq0lVrAum-v31KZpTPIJ5E=w689-h918-no.jpg

The rear view of the box and the screen.​

I'll still have to add louvers to keep the rain out. It's in the most sheltered part, so I have some time. The more stuff I get out of the way, the less I have to walk around. I'm going to make some decisions on the 220V circuits so I can finish the interior walls. You know, looking at this picture, I'm thinking I should add another ledge on the sides to match the ledges on the top and bottom, and put the screen inside there. I have to see if I have the clearance to do that.

I finally got the last part of my Jet Table saw this past week. It's been frustrating to have a beautiful saw for a month and a half, but no fence. It's fully assembled now and set up. Man, it's nice and I love that 52" fence!!! The first job for it is to replace the table on my radial arm saw. First parts are glued together, but I don't have enough clamps to do the second one at the same time. There's always tomorrow.

k4eNkDW49U_dsviWhhOYdHo3xTMQ6ODbMA5DZ7164QB9hBDP8BQGXei1qWgiTM62oE0_09eZMKOr9pbZLk=w1224-h918-no.jpg

On the kitty front, Silt and Ma~ both got personalized collars today with their names and my phone number. Silt's is still on, but I have to find Ma~'s.

fMoT0tkZ1UZkdJZCzuqusU5TrqYu1msESKK32UHxTCfQLwIOS7uipAo179URInZeWEtVqDb5IyI5SIaWmo=w1224-h918-no.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom