I had to stop the boat to go to the bathroom!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do you think the head is called the head?

At the risk of sounding too serious....

When I toured the U.S.S. Constitution years ago, this was explained. The bathrooms on sailing ships were always at the front (head) of the boat. There is a good reason for this. The prevailing wind would always be blowing the smell off the boat.

Back to the question at hand...

This is really common. No sense trying to hide the situation. At the end of a dive, take your wet suit off, jump in, and go for a swim. Everyone knows what you are doing, and some will come in and join you. If you get enough, you may warm the water temperatures up a mite.:D

My first bunch of boat dives were on a boat that had a "head"...it was when I did some dives with Key Largo Brent that I encountered no "head" on the boat, so I learned quickly to use my safety stop as a "pee break"!!! It's usually my normal practice unless I'm diving locally. I also learned about flushing and making sure my booties are inside as well!!!

Great story!!!!

Ok, so how many of you tried to click on the link for Hanks boat?:D

I did !!:D

But seriously...it's nothing a bucket of water won't wash into the bilge sump. It's no worse than fish...and harp seal guts. And think about it....everyone finishes the dive, sits on the boat, takes of their wetsuits...maybe drops theirs on YOUR reg....ooops..."sorry, I did pee in it...but only three times...."

You gotta drop your standards a bit on a boat. Penises fall out of shorts, boobs pop out sometimes...snot on the face...no biggy. :D

I think next time, I will not drink as much water??

what ever you do, dont drink less water!!
if your doing a few dives from a boat with no loo, try and do a pee on the 1st dive. just make sure your wetsiut is not tucked into your boots!!
my buddy once told me that if you hover upside down and get your octopus and purge it in to your wetuist. suposssidly your your wetsuit will fill with bubbles (you will look like a mitchelin man!) but it gets all the pee from your wetsuit!

Ladyvalea--

Keep drinking the water ! That's a good thing ! Drinking and peeing means you're well hydrated. So what if you have to pee? We ALL do that :)

Does the boat have a salt water or fresh water hose? Put the hose on you like you're "cooling off" and pee at the same time. Nobody will know.

You'll get in the habit of peeing during your dive and right before you get back on the boat. This will get easier over time.

Happy diving :)

It's the first charters when people are most nervous about these things. So many other things taking the bandwidth, and the HOLYMOLY, such a private thing hits you in the head and you have to publicize it and all.

It will get easier or if it becomes a true problem (doubt it will for you, you already showed true courage), then you will just make more careful choices with the boats and groups you go with. Just don't skimp on the drink especially in hot environments.

I did !!:D

But seriously...it's nothing a bucket of water won't wash into the bilge sump. It's no worse than fish...and harp seal guts. And think about it....everyone finishes the dive, sits on the boat, takes of their wetsuits...maybe drops theirs on YOUR reg....ooops..."sorry, I did pee in it...but only three times...."

You gotta drop your standards a bit on a boat. Penises fall out of shorts, boobs pop out sometimes...snot on the face...no biggy. :D

Not on any of the boats I've been on! :depressed:

On Roatan, most of the boats don't have heads on them as the ride from shore is pretty short. That having been said, I learned a new term from a divemaster there - "mix the water" referring to the mixing of warm fluid coming from you with the colder ocean water... I often will get back on the boat, take off my wetsuit, grab my mask and snorkel and hang out off the boat and mix the water while waiting for others to get back on the boat.. Seems to work for me at least if I'm one of of the first ones back (often happens when teaching) to the boat..

I think next time, I will not drink as much water??

I agree with the other posters, when nature calls it can't be ignored. However, whatever you do do not stop hydrating. Being a little embarrassed is far preferable to getting dehydrated and, if it goes on for long enough, going down with a heat injury. Don't put yourself down that road.

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom