I know, I know, another BP question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JThompson

Contributor
Reaction score
Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok so I decided to sell all my dive rite gear(TransPac, Rec wing&Trek Wing, weight pouches) and buy all new Oxycheq gear. 90% of my dives are in warm water with no exposure protection and a single AL80. I decided to go with the Deluxe Adjustable Harness System, and the Mach V - Extreme Explorer Series 30lb wing. My question has to do with the backplate. Should I go with the SS or Aluminum Backplate? Im 6'4" and weigh about 265lbs. Im thinking that because I need weight that I can ditch in an emergency I shouldn't go with the SS plate. Any thoughts? O yeah I mainly dive fresh water. Im also interested in everyones opinions on the different brands of plates, are some better than others? They all look the same to me

Last edited:
Personal preference, if I'm not diving dry, I prefer to be able to ditch some weight if my wing fails.

Should I go with the SS or Aluminum Backplate? Im 6'4" and weigh about 265lbs. Im thinking that because I need weight that I can ditch in an emergency I shouldn't go with the SS plate. Any thoughts?

How much weight do you carry with a steel plate?

You're 6'4" 260 lbs, no wetsuit, with a AL80......get a stainless plate, you won't be too heavy. My bet is you'll still need to wear a couple of pounds of weight to keep you under at the end of the dive.

get the AL plate. I have the exact same oxycheq setup with 2 small XS scuba pockets for weights. I dive in warm salt water with no suit and i would rather have ditchable weight. Its also better if you want to travel.

have oceanic probe bc,one year old, no matter how tight i strap the bc to a 80,some times the

tank starts to slip out of the bc
oceanic says its not the bc,i have been diving quite some time
never had this problem before.......... any help stan

Back
Top Bottom