I know its been done before...but...where do ya'll like to eat??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I have to ask. Every time we have one of these threads, I am the only one to mention Costa Brava. Are my wife and i the only ones who like this place or does no one else know that it exists?
There is nothing at all wrong with Costa Brava. It's high on my B list; the only thing is that even in a two week stay I rarely get past the places on my A list. I did eat there a few years ago after a night dive that ran late when there was almost nothing still open. It was a good meal, as I remember. I was very glad to get it.

We just got back from Coz, and I have a few further comments for this thread. We found some delightful stuff to add to our list of recommended places. First up, Sabores, right there on south 5th. Ave. I have walked right by this place dozens of times, but never really got in there. It is a lunch only spot, from 12-4 daily, but oh man, what a find. Most of their extensive menu is only 70 pesos, and that includes soup and chips with salsa. I tried their Perchuga Relleno, (stuffed chicken breast) and what I got was essentially a very big and excellently done chicken cordon bleu. And that came with superb potato soup, salad, rice and refried beans. 70 pesos. Drinks were extra, but an excellent (and large) lemonade was 15 pesos. We also decided to gamble on their guacamole (40 pesos) and were given a generous portion of some of the best guacamole that I have ever tasted, and we have eaten our share of it. All this served in their outdoor garden out back of the restaurant, with flowering bushes and fruit trees all around us. Magnifico!
And we also found a wonderful taco/torta place back on Juarez just before 65th ave. and across from the fire station. It's called Mr. Taco, and for 24 pesos you get an incredible pastor (or several other kind) torta, with 3 pesos more for lots of queso(cheese) thrown on it. They have the rotating pastor grill right out in front roasting the enormous loaf of pastor meat, and they slice it off for your sandwich to order. Lots of very cheap and scrumptious looking tacos (served open face on a flour tortilla in the Mexican manner) were going out also, and we were tempted, but one of those tortas and you are done, brother. The place doesn't open until 6 PM, but the joint is hopping from then on. We sat at one of their little tables eating our tortas and drinking excellent jamaica while it seemed like everyone in Cozumel stopped by for takeout. Don't miss this place.
Lastly, I want to mention Tony Rome's place. We have walked by it innumerable times, and never tried it. Somehow it just seemed stuck in the 70's somehow, and too kitchy for us. For some reason, however, this time we decided to give it a try. And pleasantly surprised we were. The place was virtually empty, (lot of that going around Cozumel these days...) but Tony himself was on hand to greet us. The years have not been kind to him, but he soldiers on and comes out to meet all customers anyway. But the food! My wife had the grilled grouper with garlic butter, and she said it was the first grouper she had had here that was perfectly cooked and properly seasoned. It is not easy to grill grouper right, as it becomes overdone in a heartbeat. But this was just perfect. Compliments to the chef. And me? I decided to take Tony's advice and tried the chicken parmesan. Whoo-wee! I have had a lot of chicken parmesan in my day, and most of it was instantly forgettable. Not this one. The whole thing was superbly done, and the tomato sauce over it had layers of flavor subtleties that Judy and I are still arguing over. Judy cornered Tony and asked him about that sauce, and he said it was his own recipe which was a variant of his mother's. Judy sweet talked him some more, and he told her a little secret about building that sauce, which was something she had not thought of. We will see what comes of that. A great place for a really nice supper.
And Judy wants me to mention the new chocolate store on Calle 3 just up the street from the Suites Bahia where we stayed. We would usually walk up this street from the hotel in the evening when going out to where we kept our rental car parked, and the two ladies who run the place would usually be sitting out in front of their shop with a table of free samples of their chocolates in front of them, trolling for victims.:eyebrow: We would always stop and chat with them, and shared our experiences of the day. Their chocolate is all hand made by them in artisan style, and is almost entirely dark chocolate with various fillings. Now, I am pretty much a milk chocolate addict, and never acquired a taste for 'the dark side'. I know, this irrevocably brands me as a chocolate amateur, but hey, you pays yer money and takes yer choice. Judy makes up for the both of us when it comes to the 'finer' chocolates, and she found soul mates with those two chocolatiers. And sure enough, on our last trip past them she walked away with a box of 6 selected pieces "for our daughter to try.." Yeah, right. Oh well, gimme my Reeses....:D Woody

Perhaps for you, WOODMAN, they have started making more milk chocolate selections... Thanks for visiting the chocolate shop. I'm doing a good job trying to make sure they stay in business, but I can use the help! :D

Hey, Woodman, did you notice if Mr. Taco sold esquites? I *think* that is the place I was told has some of the best esquites but I haven't made it out there.

Hey, Woodman, did you notice if Mr. Taco sold esquites? I *think* that is the place I was told has some of the best esquites but I haven't made it out there.

You know, I can't be sure, but I think I did see those on the auxiliary menu off to the right side of the store. I am not sure what those are, so I paid it little attention. I was fixated on that torta.:drooling: It is a ways out there, but it's a straight shot down Juarez and you can't get lost. It's worth the trip. Woody

It is around the corner from my friends' bed and breakfast, Baldwins. We took Dale and Kathy out for New Year's supper there one year. Yup, that's me. Last of the big time spenders.
It is a ways out there, but it's a straight shot down Juarez and you can't get lost. It's worth the trip. Woody

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by cvchief
You know, I can't be sure, but I think I did see those on the auxiliary menu off to the right side of the store.
Untitled.jpg

That must be the place then. I HAVE to get out there and try some of their equites. The wife might like a little ice cream after dinner if we stroll the plaza. I'll take equites for dessert....

re: Bahia del Caribe...

We ate there a week ago yesterday. I'll give it one more try, but most of the lionfish we had was simply awful. They brought out an appetizer of lionfish en escabeche that was quite good, but our lionfish with garlic was indistinguishable from the grilled lionfish except the plain grilled had more garlic and neither had been grilled. It was tough and overcooked to the point that it couldn't be cut with a fork. It was quite fishy.

The port was closed that day and it was a Sunday, so possibly not the best day to try it. I'd really hoped to score a whole fried lionfish, but filets was all they had (literally: they had no other fish at all that day).

Of the 6 people eating, 5 claim lionfish as one of their favorite things, so it was pretty surprising how terrible we all though it was.

In more positive news, finally made it to Los Chilangos (the Cocina Economica, not the huarache place). Yum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom