I narrowed down and got confused...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randytay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am a new diver and am in the market for a new reg. I understand that before answering the question about "which reg to get", I need to first answer "where I dive"... so heres my standard answer:

I want a reg that is versatile enough for me to dive in warm, tropical or cold water. I probably will not be diving in the Arctic Ocean but I may dive up North in Canada or even Alaska. Of course I will be traveling to dive in Manado or Bali.

I would like a reg that is Nitrox ready with mininal "screwing around". I would probably get my feet wet doing technical but not going to be seriously involved.

Now, I do understand that eventually I will be owning more than 1 reg for different uses and applications, but I would like to start with a really versatile one that can last me for the next 5 years before I purchase a "specialty" reg.

My current setup is the Zeagle Ranger with the Atomic SS1 as my safe second. And I have narrowed down my potential reg to the following:

1. Atomic B2
2. Oceanic EOS
3. Sherwood SR1
4. Scubapro MK25/S600

I did try to read up on the above regs but I just got very confused, so my questions are:

1. Will any of the above regs meet my needs?
2. Is there any real advantage of 1 over the other?
3. How crucial is an over-balanced first stage for my selection?

Thank you very much in advance.

Channel your efforts and your bucks into other areas of the sport.

Buy HOG.

All four are fine regulators. I feel that that Atomic and ScubaPro are rather over priced. Between the Sherwood and the Oceanic ... I'd buy the Oceanic, I've always had a bias toward their gear.

All of the regulators listed would meet most anyone's needs.

I see no huge advantage of one over the others.

Over-balanced first stage is a term used in half a page of gobbledygook put out by ScubaPro. The entire discussion is just so much horse pucky. There are plenty of quality diaphragm first stages that do not, feature, "pneumatically-balanced, high pressure seat design that withstands delamination along with a short-throw lifting pin that reduces mechanical drag," yet that function very, very well ... for many years ... my Cyclon 300 and Mares MR-22 Ruby, for example.

Give the EDGE/HOG gear a glance too ... it really is worth looking at.

If yes, I would go with HOG or Dive Rite since both sell repair kits on their respective web sites and both are quality regs.

If not, what does your local dive shop sell?

Thal made a valid point about Scuba Pro and Atomic being "very proud" of their products, as expressed in their pricing.

Randy pointed out that Atomic only needs servicing every two years.

I agree that all your choices will serve you well. I dive a pair of Atomic M-1s and I couldn't be happier with my set up. The first came from my LDS after he matched Leisure Pro's price. The second came from Scubatoys, who is now a authorized Atomic dealer.

Keep on doing your homework. Make it a point to be a informed consumer and never pay full retail on any dive gear. You work hard for your money. Make it work hard for you.

Best of luck on your decision.

Out of choices I would absolutly change the MK25/S600 to the MK17/G250V as IMO it is a better breather and it is far more capable then the MK15/S600. The MK17/G250V can be dove in any waters warm,cold contaminated doesn't matter this reg is tried and true system that works. If I wasn't diving the MK17/G250V I would be using the Atomic M1's. Since your saying you want something that dive anywhere those 2 would be my choices. As other users have said above the Hog regs are a terrific value and from what I heard are equally as good but have not had the oppertunity to try myself

Last edited:
If yes, I would go with HOG or Dive Rite since both sell repair kits on their respective web sites and both are quality regs.
Brishar, I think you might've missed this part:

I am a new diver and am in the market for a new reg.
I don't know many new divers who service their own regulators. :eyebrow:

Out of choices I would absolutly change the MK25/S600 to the MK17/G250V as IMO it is a better breather and it is far more capable then the MK15/S600. The MK17/G250V can be dove in any waters warm,cold contaminated doesn't matter this reg is tried and true system that works.
Out of the brands on your list, this is also what I would recommend. At least swap out the first stage to the sealed MK17. Alaskan and Canadian waters mean you should get a real cold water regulator, and that means a sealed first stage. The MK25 doesn't have a sealed first stage, and of course none of the Atomics do.

YMMV, but I base that solely from my personal experiences with a dive buddy's freeflowing regulator with unsealed first stage that froze up during a cold water dive.

The other thing that seems to be glossed over in this discussion is whether you will be able to get this reg serviced (i.e. repaired) in the places you plan to dive. The budget brands are definitely cheaper, but will someone in Manado or Bali know what to do with them if you have a problem?

Last edited:
One thing I'd consider is what you can easily get serviced locally. Sending stuff out for service (or even having to drive a long way to deliver it) is a PITA.

I dive the ScubaPro Mk25/S600s as my doubles regs. I really love them (although the HOG regs I've tried have breathed equally well) but they are not really recommended for cold water diving. DA Aquamaster definitely recommends the Mk17/G250V for cold water, and I respect his opinion.

Back
Top Bottom