I need an opinion on fit for BP/W for a 12 year old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you being facetious?

If you had bought them a backplate and wing from the beginning all you would need is a different bladder for the doubles. Their muscle memory of where everything is on the harness would be locked in. If, or when, they grow you may (at the most) need a new harness - or leave enough in the first one to adjust for some growth. Simple!

Suggesting people buy new BCD all the time seems like something a dive shop owner or employee would advise to boost the bottom line of said shop.
Neither a shop owner nor work for one. Scuba is an equipment intensive activity. Just saying. Started diving 50 years ago with a back harness, regulator, J-valve steel 72, NO SPG, oh ya, a depth gauge. So when I'm not cave diving with about $25,000 in equipment every time I enter the water, I love a single AL 80 with my ScubaPro Glide Plus jacket weight integrated BCD. Slip it on and jump off the boat.

Rebreather and a high end scooter plus everything else...easily.

I know of a family that right after their OW course where they used rental jacketed BCDs the entire family bought Apex BP/Ws...including their Jr Diver son. They did their buoyancy and trim work in the pool and now have been diving them for almost a year (75-100+ dives depending on which family member). They love them.

I teach my Open Water Confined Water sessions in a Scuba Pro Glide...because my students are in jacketed BCDs. When we go to the ocean for our Open Water dives I am in one of my BP/Ws. I am demonstrating a different equipment configuration, one I like better for my own personal trim and buoyancy.

Plate is to big and the harness seems very tight. I know she will grow into the system, but now it's is going to be uncomfortable in water and add stress to her lower back.

I would let her be the guide put her in a pool with a tank and wing on that plate and ask her if it is pinching or pressing on anything uncomfortable if it is she may need a smaller plate but I think it looks ok and if she is good with it then it is the right size.

Ditch the back plate unless she is diving doubles. Get her a good fitting weight integrated jacket style bcd. She will be happy, comfortable and safe.

My daughter at age 10 rented a wide variety of jacket style BCDs for a couple of years. It was only when she went to a Dive Rite BP/W did she find a solution that worked for her. It worked so well for her that I bought one for myself!

It looks like you have adjusted the setup about right. But, only in use will you know for sure (it looks just a bit long but she will grow into it).

GJS

Back
Top Bottom