I need basic info on buying a regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dulcediver

Reaction score
I have been diving for about 6 months and I am going on a live-aboard cruise in November. I am interested in buying a regulator.

I have read several magazine articles and reviews, but they seem to assume you know what you are looking for, when I don't even know what a lot of it means.

I will mostly be diving in tropical areas. The Sea of Cortez is only a few hours drive from where I live, and I like to vacation in warm places. And at this point in time, I have no interest in cold-water activities.

I don't want to spend a ton of money and start at the top of the line, but I don't want to be cheap when it comes to something this important.

I know most of you are going to be brand loyal, and that's great, but what I would really like to hear is what kinds of options/features I should look for, how to evaluate whether those options are good for me, and what things are really just expensive unnecessary frills. Or referrals to reading material I can get this info from.

Oh yeah, and this seems like a really stupid question, but when you buy a "regulator" does that mean just the second stage, or do they come with a first stage and octopus? I do have an air-integrated computer if that matters.

(I am going to post this under regulators as well, in case you see it duplicated.)

Thanks for your insight.

Your second question first.

When you buy a regulator, the primary and secondary come as a package. Many manufacturers "ballance" the performance of the regulator you breath through (the secondary) to the performance and capabilities of the primary. They are sold as a unit. The Octo, or backup is sold separately, as is the presure guage. The low pressure hose that connects to the BCD is sold with the BCD in most cases. However you can buy them separately with the proper type of connector for the BCD you plan on using, if you don't have one.

Now as for the type of regulator. To put it simply, if you do not plan on ever diving very cold or very deep waters, or specialized diving such as cave penetrations and so on. Just about any regulator on the market will suffice for the average "tropical shallow reef diving" you seem to be planning on doing almost exclusively.

Many manufacturers have released a line of 'plastic' housed regulators that are less expensive, and can withstand corrosive salts very well. They are not to be considered "top of the line", and some on this board will call them the Devils Invention. But for a budget minded diver, who has no plans of diving to any extreems, they may be just what you are looking for. US Divers, AquaLung, and Mares, to name just a few, make a model that is both compact and light weight, thus allowing for less weight considerations when flying when luggage weight restrictions apply.

Hope this helps you in your quest.

Have fun and stay safe.

Words & ideas that pertain to regs:

High-performance
Balanced
Piston
Repairability
Brass or the fancy stuff?

I won't hype a brand, because I don't like my curent reg that much; read up on these terms & see how they apply to your needs, then go to the LDS & ask for something that fits that description.

pt40, I'm new too and haven't bought a reg yet, but I plan on doing caves in the future, will I need something special as implied your post?

Originally posted by Florida_boy
pt40, I'm new too and haven't bought a reg yet, but I plan on doing caves in the future, will I need something special as implied your post?

Well, yes, there are some things to keep in mind when buying a regulator especially when you are thinking about cave diving, wreck or deep diving. Have a look at:

http://www.gue.com/equipment/regulators.shtml

i think that about summarizes it.
Also both your primary AND your backup should be good quality regs, countless times i see people spend $700 on a primary only to buy a $78 piece of crap as their second reg. Remember in case an OOA diver takes the one in your mouth YOU will be breathing of that cheapo crappy reg and you might be in for an unpleasant surprise.:)

Originally posted by Florida_boy

Well, yes, there are some things to keep in mind when buying a regulator especially when you are thinking about cave diving, wreck or deep diving. Have a look at:

http://www.gue.com/equipment/regulators.shtml

i think that about summarizes it.
Also both your primary AND your backup should be good quality regs, countless times i see people spend $700 on a primary only to buy a $78 piece of crap as their second reg. Remember in case an OOA diver takes the one in your mouth YOU will be breathing of that cheapo crappy reg and you might be in for an unpleasant surprise.:)

In addition to the features mentioned above, one of the items that adds considerably to the price of a regulator and that you can probably leave off even if you start to do more advanced diving is the adjustable second stage. By adjustable, I mean the little knobs and lever on the left side of some regulators. They are intended to make it easier to breathe the reg at depth and prevent free flows at shallow depth or at the surface.

I believe that, in some cases, particularly including Aqua Lung Legends (if I've got the manufacturer wrong, its because I'm working off memory and don't use this reg) charge about $150.00 more for the adjustment and that the rest of the reg is the same.

One other item you can consider deleting is the venturi flow feature that some manufacturers (for example, Mares) put on their more expensive models. Personally, I've never been able to tell the difference, particularly at shallower depth.

Finally, consider using less popular brands. For example, I use a Beuchat Iceberg VX10 primary. Beuchat is not particularly well known in the States; accordingly, it is less expensive than other brands. It breathes well, has excellent quality and I have not had a single problem (except for a blown o-ring in my primary hose that was entirely my fault). The VXT8 is less expensive and still performs well.

In answer to your questions regarding regulators, a primary regulator should come with the first and second stages and the necessary hoses (talk to your dealer if you want to change the lengths). An alternate will be the second stage only.

I lucked out and found someone selling his slightly used scubapro regulator with the works. I'm not sure it's the BEST deal I could find, but I know it's quality equipment, it works, and I don't have to shop around and get stressed. And that is worth a good part of the price.

Dear dulcediver,

Not toburst your bubble but what model,how much, and did they service this regulary? I am a ScubaPro user. does your LDS service Scubapro and are you willing to pay the entire service cost because the warrenty is no longer in service? If you buy new all the parts are included in yearly maint..

What brands do your LDS sell and service? there are many regs out there that will fit your needs find the one you will really be happy with.

chuckrt

Hello Chuck -

Actually it is the R380, which Rodale's gave a thumbs up in a 2001 issue. And as far as whether it can be serviced by the LDS, that is a definate yes. In fact, the reg was originally owned by my instructor from the LDS, who sold it to a buddy, who is selling it to me. So, it has been in fine hands and comes from a reliable, trustworthy source. As far as servicing it goes, that is being taken care of as well.

I am comfortable with the price, so I don't think it's important what others think about it. I imagine I could get something cheaper on line but I like it that Rodale's says it "one of the best high-performance regulators on the market today."

If it turns out I made a mistake I will live with it. I have made some before, I'm sure I will make more in the coming years.

Thanks for your input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom