I need everything!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do agree somewhat with the wait and see posters, as there are a lot of ideas, opinions, and gear out there.

However, when I was asking these same questions I also liked the opinions everyone had and why they had them.

My favorite gear is along the Halcyon line, I have a 27 lb. wing and stainless steel bp, xlarge jetfins, (no spring strap yet) black/black zeagle ebon mask.

I have one Hal. zipper pocket that holds stuff and that is it. I have been thinking and am wondering what exactly I need it for at all, beyond a slate I don't want swimming about. Soon a lift bag or probably a high lift capacity safety sausage as a marker, pseudo lift bag, and backup bouancy.

I have a Zeagle(apeks) tx50/tx40 reg set on a dir hose setup with the 7' primary. You will probably be taught with your octo dragging on the bottom getting full of dirt and your guages floating all over the place. My naui class even had a required skill to find the octo in back. Why on earth my life giving air device would be relegated to my back I have no idea. There are much better ways to configure your gear.

I have a UK 8 C cell light with a UK sl4 backup.

What I really like about the setup is that it is perfect for the beginner (me @25 dives) and up. The guys that make some of the most extreme dives in the world will use the same basic rig, with a bit of added equipment. (Well, about 10k$ of extra equipment and 10 yrs. of training/experience)

The bp/wings is a very relaxing rig and is completely comfy in the water, though it looks torturous on land, granted. The jet fins are very comfy also. If you are going with lights, bring that up as it is a whole different subject. The 2 I mention can be bought for about 70bux online and are very adequate for most beginning/intermediate endeavours.

Be aware that most of what you read and hear in dive shops has a motive to sell you particular gear because that is their job. Not good or bad, but something to be aware of for sure.

I have no interest in the companies above but for good service. Extreme Exposure will let you try the gear for a month and return it if you like. Unfortunately I took them up on the offer when I already had a bc, and fell in love with the bp/wings and could not go back. They were even willing to let me trade in my wing for one that is bigger if I had wanted. Verrry friendly.

Tommy

Buy as little as possible for your class. A buddy I did OW with will never dive again. You might not like it. Then spend your time on research. Dive a little and more research. The worst thing in the world for me would be to buy everything twice. I'am real happy with everything I've bought, but there are people out there that think I have some of the "wrong" stuff. PATIENCE. Work on your skills and experience first and fill in with dive gear that fit's "your" profile.

adios don O

I agree that you should wait to purchase your "hardline gear" (BC, reg...life support system) until you finish your class and know a little more about what you like.

But, there are tons of little gadgets you are going to want once you are certified. IE..good dive bag, if you are going to travel get a sturdy one that can be locked (wheels are a plus...but they take a beating sometimes). Slates, wrist compass, dive knife, lights...all these are fun little things to shop for. A "save a dive kit" with extra fin and mask straps, o-rings and mouthpieces is another idea.

If there is a dive shop near you, get a wetsuit and your snorkel gear.

Besides...if you get the "top of the line" gear this year...what are you going to ask for next year???? :)

There is alot to say about renting until our open water but if you are going to purchase thru your dealer they may offer package deals. We had counsling about half way thru our class and only one person left. When we neared the end we had the choice of purchasing gear in a package and saving considerable over piece purchases. I do have to say that our shop stood behind everything and if it did not feelright or work for us they would replace with what you thought might be better.( changed my wetsuit after most of the summer of diving and no extra charge) All in all it is up to you to make the decision but I would rather not dive than use rental gear that I'm not familiar with.

Originally posted by chuckrt
There is alot to say about renting until our open water but if you are going to purchase thru your dealer they may offer package deals. We had counsling about half way thru our class and only one person left. When we neared the end we had the choice of purchasing gear in a package and saving considerable over piece purchases. I do have to say that our shop stood behind everything and if it did not feelright or work for us they would replace with what you thought might be better.( changed my wetsuit after most of the summer of diving and no extra charge) All in all it is up to you to make the decision but I would rather not dive than use rental gear that I'm not familiar with.

Chuck,

The last line of the above is kind of strange. If you are in training for your OW you are not really familiar with anything, so rental gear is just as good as bought gear. The upside to rental gear is you learn the basics of most gear. I.E. how the BC inflator works, how integrated weight works (depending on gear) as well as other stuff. Knowing this is a benefit to you in that when you go to buy your own gear you will be a bit more knowledgable as to what you liked and disliked. If you go buy yours before you even dive then find out you are one of those people whose ears are unable to equalize underwater, you are out your money, cause almost no LDS will take gear back other than for exchange.

I think every diver should start out with rental gear, and try a few brands if you can. Ask if they have a weight integrated BC you can try out, try different regs etc. That way you will be able to make the best decision when you are actually ready to buy the gear.

Otherwise I can say pretty safely that as time goes on you will accumulate a lot of gear that you really don't like for one reason or another and can almost never sell for anywhere close to what you bought it for.

And saying you would rather not dive than to dive in rental gear, that attitude is going to have to change if you are going to become a full fledged dive-a-holic. If you are on a dive trip to Belize and you find your BC got broke in transit, would you just sit on the boat for 7 days, or use rental gear, or go ashore and drop 500-600 more to replace your broken gear. I think economics would say you'll be in rental gear shortly.

Syruss,

I understand what you are saying, but nothing was presented for purchase except mask,fins,snorkel for class. WE all used shop gear and used two to three(depending on size) diff. BC's. As for me and rental gear I would use rental BC if anything happened but I always bring two regs and masks on a trip,I no how and when these were serviced and how they breathe. You are also right about purchassing until you no if you will like the sport. My shop allowed you two months after open water to get the package price and if you did not like a piece of gear you could exchange.

I caught your picture in basic snorkle and we resemble each other alot.

ps I would always try the rental BC even on land/boat a couple of times just to get the feel of the controls for infl/defl.

Chuck

Hi! Just my two cents a newly certified diver who is larger than the average bear - so rental options (especially fins (size 14 feet) wetsuit and BCs) are somewhat limited. Here is my list of gear (head to toe)

Snorkel: Ocean Master Elbow Dry (I don't want to get into the snorkel/no snorkel debate, but I do like the convenience of a snorkel while I'm floating at the surface, and my wife doesn't scuba(yet) but she does snorkel with me)
Mask: Ocean master Equalizer Z2
Reg: Apext TX 50 DS4 & TX40 Octo
BC: Dive Rite Transpac II w/RecWing/Wt Pckts/crotch strap
Compass: Oceanic sidescan w/boot & retractor clip
2 Guage Console: Genesis SPG & Depth with temp
Weight Belt: XS Baggage w/ velcro pockets
Computer: Suunto Mosquito
Watch: Timex Ironman - HUMMVEE edition
Suit: Akon 3MM shorty
Gloves: Tilos 3MM Titanium
Boots: Tilos 3MM low-top
Fins: Genesis Aquaflex
Misc: Sea Snips, Storm Whistle, Save-A-dive kit, etc.

Total equipment investment (w/o training costs) so far:

$1,840

Planned future purchases:

Wetsuit - Aquaflite custom 6.5 MM w/ hood, ankle/wrist zippers ($380 w/shipping)

I guess I should list my gear as others have: Oceanic Contour BC, Scuba Pro mk20/GS250 Nitrox and MK190/R380 back up, Scuba Pro Split fins(I like them 'nuff said) and Scuba Pro 5mm Jumpsuit and Skin, Oceanic DataMax Pro Plus computer/timex Ironman watch, sea snips, pocket Ikelite light and for nite dives Shockwave light, Seadive mask/purge and Ocean Master/purge. I have added over the last couple of years but kept some items for use as spares.

Rent to see if you like then buy it is cheaper in the long run.

Hey everyone. I am very excited to start on my diving adventures. My husband and I recently signed up for diving certification classes and we BOUGHT all of our gear...eek.....but we plan on diving regularly. We love snorkeling, so we can't wait to scuba. One silly question???? What watch (not dive computer) would you guys recommend....digital or analog????Brand. It's the last thing we need to purchase.
Thanks and happy diving.

Some good advice has been shared in this thread-- I would second Lost Yopper's list. I would have saved a significant amount of bread to go that way in the first place myself.

My one bit of parting advice is to listen to your instructor's gear selection advice, but don't blindly follow it. I initially found myself oufitted in nearly the same rig as my instructor (who just happened to be the retailer for all of that gear) and only realized after some experience that it wasn't right for me.

Research, try out, then buy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom