I panicked in Devils Throat at 122ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I fully realize this is all my fault but fault is not what my question is about. Some background.
I was having some trouble with my main puter because it got activated on the plane and set at altitude, I did not know this till I got back home. On my first dive it was giving a different depth than my backup and what other divers had on their puters. Next dive it worked fine, it reset at sea level, and on the next few dives it did also, but it still unnerved me a bit. Two divers I was with wanted to do the Devils Throat because I had told them how great it was, I had done it twice before with no incident. They were insistent on doing the dive but I did not want to do it because of my puter problem a few days earlier. Long story shorter -I went thru first series of tunnels OK, but exited a little wider than the two divers ahead of me and got caught in a bit of current that also brought me a bit shallower than them by about 12/15 ft. At this point I was behind them and above them. I struggled to get down to them and enter next series of tunnels. I must have been breathing rapidly and got a bit of carbon minoxide/dioxide? build up. I was then at 122ft in the next series of swim thrus with a opening about 60 ft in front of me. I suddenly got a full blown case of nitrogen narcosis and got very anxious plus I felt difficulty in breathing fully and evenly. I saw an opening in the reef to my right and BOLTED for the opening and went up to 100 ft rapidly, then stopped. My head cleared and I remained there for several minutes as a SS. I multil leveled for the next 20 minutes or so and finished the dive OK -another SS at 15 ft. Oh, the other divers waited several minutes to find out what my problem was but only when the DM asked where I was.

My question: did I get a build up from over-exertion at depth and that coupled with being narc'd cause/add to my panic? MY dive shop said I did not panic but managed the panic and took action to deal with it. Where they just being kind?

That's a carbon dioxide buildup, Pilot Fish. If you had a carbon monoxide buildup it would be a game over scenario:D

Seriously, could very well have been CO2.

Don't really know, I've never been narc'ed.....But check out my 4 short videos of D.T.(pages 2 & 3 of below link) from last month, anything look familiar???.........good little dive, esp. when you can finsh up down Columbia drifting along an hour and 15 minutes later......

GEAUXtiger/CZMUWvideoNov07 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

That's a carbon dioxide buildup, Pilot Fish. If you had a carbon monoxide buildup it would be a game over scenario:D

Seriously, could very well have been CO2.

I get them mixed up. :) yes, CO2 build up

It was a very good learning experience. Narcosis can effect you diferently on any given dive and day.Try to remember how you felt leading up to bolting and be aware of the signs next time you are diving deep. You handled it well.

Don't really know, I've never been narc'ed.....But check out my 4 short videos of D.T.(pages 2 & 3 of below link) from last month, anything look familiar???.........good little dive, esp. when you can finsh up down Columbia drifting along an hour and 15 minutes later......

GEAUXtiger/CZMUWvideoNov07 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

That was great. Thanks. I recognized the opening to the Throat but it's hard to tell from the rest of it but it was damn fun to see your videos, Thanks

Air, of course. I would never use nitrox at that planned depth

Why would you never use nitrox at that depth? Anything below 30% would be fine at that depth. It sounds to me like a combination of being narced and CO2 buildup. Narcosis will clear up when you ascend but the initial symptoms sound like CO2. Your "safety stop" at 100ft could have helped to clear the narcosis but resting, relaxing, and getting your breathing under control can help clear out the CO2. Chalk it up to experience. Next time you should be able to identify it sooner and avoid a panic situation.

It was a very good learning experience. Narcosis can effect you diferently on any given dive and day.Try to remember how you felt leading up to bolting and be aware of the signs next time you are diving deep. You handled it well.

I felt out of breath and difficulty in breathing. It was as if my reg was closed down by half. I wanted more air. I knew I was narc'd but this felt a bit differnt since I felt I was not getting enough air. I might have helped myself if I had breathed deeper and slower?

Back
Top Bottom