I Still Feel Like I'm On The Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shotthebreeze

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey folks,

I woke up this morning and I'm still rocking all over the place. Yesterday I could understand how I could still feel this way because I didn't get a very good night sleep from Sunday into Monday, but last night I slept 10 hours. What do I do? :doctor: It's been two days since I've been on the boat...

I have had that happen too, after a week-long cruise, and it was several days before it quit completely. Since then, I've heard it referred to as "stillness illness", as opposed to "seasickness". Just give it time... it will go away.

CC1020:
I have had that happen too, after a week-long cruise, and it was several days before it quit completely. Since then, I've heard it referred to as "stillness illness", as opposed to "seasickness". Just give it time... it will go away.

Will I get used to the movement if I'm on a dive boat often? If this happens every time...man...it'll be interesting walking to class on those cobble stone streets in Boston...

Happens to me a lot. It happens more earlier in the season, so maybe I am getting used to it. :)
AND I need to spend more time on the boat for it to happen. Used to happen after a day on the boat, then it took two days, now it takes a full weekend including an over nighter.

:hmmm: I've never had it last more than a few hours, maybe a day after my first cruise on an old ship without stabilizers. Couple weeks ago, I was on a really bucking liveaboard for 70 hours, and the feeling lasted only a few minutes on land.

Q: Do any of y'all have problems clearing your ears...?

DandyDon:
:hmmm: I've never had it last more than a few hours, maybe a day after my first cruise on an old ship without stabilizers. Couple weeks ago, I was on a really bucking liveaboard for 70 hours, and the feeling lasted only a few minutes on land.

Q: Do any of y'all have problems clearing your ears...?

A: Nope.

My land sickness usually only lasts one day at the most.

It's called "land sickness" or "[google]mal de débarquement[/google]", and is basically the reverse side of motion sickness (which DAN talks about). There's quite a bit of reading out there on it, but it usually goes away quickly, but for some people, it persists a bit longer (give it another day or two).

(There's also a syndrome version that can persist a long time, but you needn't worry about that.)

shotthebreeze:
Hey folks,

I woke up this morning and I'm still rocking all over the place. Yesterday I could understand how I could still feel this way because I didn't get a very good night sleep from Sunday into Monday, but last night I slept 10 hours. What do I do? :doctor: It's been two days since I've been on the boat...

This last Spring I did a four night live aboard to the
San Clemente and Catalina from Santa Barbara. My sea
legs lasted five days afterward. The advice I got was to
enjoy it while it lasted. I was a pleasant reminder of
the trip.

--Mike

After a 7 day liveaboard I felt like I was still on the boat for about a week. Especially in small spaces, like a shower. I did sometimes have problems equalizing on that trip, and did wind up with ear infections in both ears.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom