I think EVERY diver should know THIS:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:confused:

Why does it have to be so "one or the other"?

Seems like any black or white approach would severely limit one's flexibility in a situation.

If I am diving Solo, does that mean no 7-foot hose? Why would I not want to dive the same configuration, as much as possible, for each dive?

If I am equipped to dive Solo, does that make me any more or less of a buddy? Isn't that more of a mental attitude than anything else?

Doesn't prudent gas management planning make prudent planning in both circumstances?

Seems to me that buddy or team diving just HAS to be different: Both the plan and the equipment.

Am I restricting myself to a no-overhead dive?
Am I taking air for one, or air for two?
What's my turn-around pressure?
Single reg, Air 2, Octo, or 7-foot hose?
Does OOA mean I share air, or do an immediate CESA?

You either start the dive with a comittment to help and be helped, or you don't. Your plan will be different and your gear will reflect your plan.

Nope...
I wear doubles every dive. I dive 1/3's every dive. Why? Because if I'm with someone, I want them to have 1/3 should crap go wrong, and if i'm not with someone, I want the extra 1/3 I would have given them, should crap go wrong. My turn around pressure is always the same, my regulators always the same, my 7' hose always the same.

Jax, you're killing me with your avatars. you got my private email address for the real pics right? hehe.

:kiss2:

Tell me about it. I came to this thread just because she made the last comment and the avatar was showing last poster. Amazing

:confused:

Why does it have to be so "one or the other"?

Seems like any black or white approach would severely limit one's flexibility in a situation.

If I am diving Solo, does that mean no 7-foot hose? Why would I not want to dive the same configuration, as much as possible, for each dive?

If I am equipped to dive Solo, does that make me any more or less of a buddy? Isn't that more of a mental attitude than anything else?

Doesn't prudent gas management planning make prudent planning in both circumstances?

Yeah, no fair with the avatar! I can't concentrate...

Lets take the simple rock bottom calculation. A solo diver needs enough gas to get him or her self to the surface. A buddy diver needs twice that. No?

Yeah, no fair with the avatar! I can't concentrate...

Lets take the simple rock bottom calculation. A solo diver needs enough gas to get him or her self to the surface. A buddy diver needs twice that. No?

Not the way I plan my dives . . . . but I'll listen to all y'all more experienced guys. :)

Without exception, every new diver should be taught:
  • on the internet, there is scubaboard
  • do not talk about split fins on scubaboard
  • do not talk about spare air on scubaboard
  • do not talk about deep air on scubaboard
  • do not say that you would love to see a tank explode on scubaboard
  • the first rule of scubaboard is that you never talk about scubaboard
sorry, got carried away there...

Without exception, every new diver should be taught:
  • on the internet, there is scubaboard
  • do not talk about split fins on scubaboard
  • do not talk about spare air on scubaboard