i tried to fly out today and i ended up being bent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for sharing your story.

Hopefully, your physicians worked you up for cardiovascular and other neurological disorders when arriving at a DCS diagnosis. It's important to rule out those other causes since sitting still on a plane can certainly bring out circulation issues (DVTs, pedal edema) and various nervous system issues (paresthesias, etc.).

If the DCS diagnosis is accurate, then it sounds like you got pretty unlucky. Nevertheless, you took on a considerable amount of DCS risk when you decided to conduct aggressive dive profiles (with respect to nitrogen loading) less than 24 hours prior to a flight.

The first lesson to be learned here is to avoid these kinds of plans. It sounds like you weren't doing much diving at all during this vacation. A far better decision would have been to plan the dives earlier in the week...several days before getting on the plane to return home. I've done several multi-day, repetitive dive vacations, and I always leave at least one buffer day of "no diving" prior to my departure day. This doesn't even come close to flirting with the 24-hr rule -- typically it is closer to a 48-hr dive-free period. Moreover, I'm a relatively young, healthy individual with fairly good aerobic fitness. All of these factors combine to paint a picture of very low DCS risk, although I fully acknowledge that some risk still exists. I offer my approach to dive scheduling as just one example of how someone can mitigate DCS risk factors even before getting wet.

Second, there are certainly more "direct" means of mitigating nitrogen loading: limiting bottom time, using an appropriate nitrox mix, increasing surface interval time, increasing stop time, etc. Off-gassing might be more optimal given certain ascent profiles, too. When on vacation, you can try to limit nitrogen loading on your last few dives. Consider extending your shallow safety stops longer than 3 minutes; for instance, 7-10 minutes at safety stop depth might be a good idea, particularly on the last dives of a dive vacation. Slow down your ascent rate from safety stop depth to the surface. For example, try a "neutrally buoyant" ascent managed by breath control from about 15 fsw which takes about 2 min. It's great buoyancy control practice.

One more comment...
For future reference, I would view Internet posts regarding short 12-18 hr. dive-to-flight intervals with a fair amount of skepticism. It's the Internet after all. People can say whatever they like. They may exaggerate. They may misremember facts. They may derive some satisfaction in bragging about only "needing" a short dive-to-flight interval. And even if they are telling the truth, not everyone has the same physiology. There is still a great deal we don't understand about DCS pathogenesis. When it comes to adhering to DCS "best practice" guidelines, perhaps it would serve your best interests to adopt the philosophy of letting others push the limits.

Well, FWIW I am glad you were helped at the Saint Mary's chamber. Several years ago, when the econmy went to ****, St. Mary admins were going to abandon the chamber. A lot of local divers appealed to them and the economic development folks. "Do not cut the chamber from the budget." We prevailed.

Be healthy. We wish you a complete recovery.

One thing they said they usually see is dehydration which was the case when I dove it was an early morning dive I only drank a cup of coffee when I came up on the 1st dive I was really Thursty I drank about 4 cups of water at that point it's not going to hydrate enough. When we flew same thing had to be at the airport at 5am we were running late so no time for water. The real purpose is to tell others here that it can happen if you push the limits in this sport it can end up bad and I was really lucky I didn't end up much worse off. I have no doubt in my mind knowing my medical history that it was DCS the team knows what they are doing I'm in no position to 2nd guess them. I'm going to be taking my diving to a new level of safaty including getting nitrox certified.

Well, FWIW I am glad you were helped at the Saint Mary's chamber. Several years ago, when the econmy went to ****, St. Mary admins were going to abandon the chamber. A lot of local divers appealed to them and the economic development folks. "Do not cut the chamber from the budget." We prevailed.

Be healthy. We wish you a complete recovery.

They are really good bunch there at St Mary's I'm sure glad they kept the chambers I'm suprised how few chambers are in South FL with the number of dives being done here. I'm feeling much better now we are stuck here unitl Friday have to wait 72 hours before flying again i'm going to stay until Friday just to make sure i'm okay. thanks for they nice words it was really scary when you know what can happen.

What kind of a plane was it? Was it pressurized? All legacy airlines use pressurized cabins that slowly drop the pressure to about 8000ft alt. Some regional aircraft are not pressurized, and the pressure will drop quickly to whatever altitude it is at, drastically increasing chances for a DCS

One more question: Did you engage in any strenuous, post-dive exercise?

For what it's worth...
The scientific evidence that supports dehydration in humans as a risk factor for DCS is not very convincing.

If the treatment team was pulling out the "dehydration" card, it just means that they didn't have a good handle on the primary cause of your DCS incident. One might infer that the treatment team didn't think your depth profile and relevant dive history were particularly aggressive.

The correct diagnosis may very well be DCS. I don't know. Often times, when a diver experiences an "unexpected" DCS hit, people will attribute the hit to dehydration. It's a convenient catch-all explanation. If you were to poll all divers successfully completing dives (no DCS outcome), I'd venture a guess that most would admit to being "dehydrated", "somewhat dehydrated," or "could be better hydrated." Moreover, scuba tank gas is very dry. It can definitely dry out the respiratory passages. It may be difficult to tell the difference between true dehydration and a dry throat.

I don't mean for any of this to sound contentious. Your treatment team appears to be giving you the appropriate care. Get well soon.

They are really good bunch there at St Mary's I'm sure glad they kept the chambers I'm suprised how few chambers are in South FL with the number of dives being done here. I'm feeling much better now we are stuck here unitl Friday have to wait 72 hours before flying again i'm going to stay until Friday just to make sure i'm okay. thanks for they nice words it was really scary when you know what can happen.

St. Mary is awesome. I am not a physician but that hospital has been a part of my life for years. Yeah.. chamber in WPB and Miami. We used to have one in Lake Park (I rode it to 165'. )

For what it's worth...
The scientific evidence that supports dehydration in humans as a risk factor for DCS is not very convincing.
Yes, but it is the favorite explanation for DCS by those who are heavily invested in the idea that it couldn't happen to them. They drink eight glasses of water a day (no caffeine!) and their urine is clear, so they are safe.

Yes, but it is the favorite explanation for DCS by those who are heavily invested in the idea that it couldn't happen to them. They drink eight glasses of water a day (no caffeine!) and their urine is clear, so they are safe.

Didn't I read somewhere that over hydration may be involved in some cases of IPE?

Back
Top Bottom