I want a knife! (err... "Dive Tool" ... yeah, that's it!!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=54

Perfect, exactly what you're looking for. Essentially a sawed-off steak knife with a blunt tip so that it won't poke your exposure suit. VERY secure sheath. Sharp knife, solid end if you want to bang it on something.

I have one of those.

The OP asked for something medium sized (that knife is pretty small) and also with a metal butt.

I'll try banging my tank with it this weekend but I don't think it would massively effective, especially as it's so small you would have to grip the cutting edge to bang using a fist, rather than two fingers & a thumb to hold it.

Hey sparticle, would you know of a way to modify the handle of the knife so that it can be used for tank banging? I find that plastic handles are only audible if the person you're with is attuned to soft, hushed clanging.

Randall will make you whatever your heart desires, but it co$t$.

Randall makes lovely knives and so do a host of others in the american knife makers guild. To bad I can't afford them. I've lost so many knifes, not all of them underwater. Many of them quite expensive.
Supermarkets and thrift stores etc, sell cheap stainless steel kitchen knives. These days I take a kitchen knife, drill a hole in the handle and cable tie a dog lead clip to it and clip my knife onto a "D" ring. I use garden hose for the sheath and the base of the sheath is permantly attached to the handle with light bungy line. You unclip the knife, sheath and unsheath the knife where you can see it.

Buy a double sided steel knife and dremel one side flat, so that it isn't sharp. Or buy a single sided knife and grind/dremel down the tip. Easy to do.

I use this knife:http://www.123scuba.com/p-KN4260.html

It's easy and secure to use and only one side has a blade (line cutter on other side). You could simply take a grinder to the tip and take off a bit or round it a bit so that it isn't sharp. Really sweet knife. Can be found cheaper.

I'm rather certain you could bang the knife I posted up against a tank and it would be rather loud, but I'm uncertain as to why you would want to do so.

Why not take one of those double-edged knives and file down the edge on one side to make it dull?

For some reason the edit button is working for me. I was going to say likewise, you could take a sharp-pointed knife and snap the tip off with a pair of pliers.

I dont understand why the OP has not considered titanium. Especially if you dive salt water titanuim is a great option. If you are a recreational diver than you should never need to use a knife anyway but we all carry one for that extra sense of security. If you hardly ever use a knife than you never need to sharpen a knife and titanium will hold an edge better anyway plus it doen't corrode. I have 2 different titanium knives and a pair of shears.

If you dont want a double edge file/grind one off, if you dont want a pointed tip break/file/grind it off, if you must have a tank banger find a knife that doesn't have a full tang and clamp it in a drill press and thread the hole so you can add a 3/8" bolt to it.

The key part to finding and buying dive gear is to pick the item that best fits your needs and then modifying it to fit your needs perfectly (also helps when trying to identify whos gear is whos).

I own an ocean master titanium knife (I found it to big), and a wenoka sqeeeeeze lock titanium knife which is perfect size.

I would like to add that I cut myself very seriouly when opening a can of peaches and now I have no feeling in 1 finger but I still use a can opener. A double edge knife when used properly for is purpose is far safer than a single edge straight bladed one. that serrated edge makes cutting line far easier than a straight edge. If it bothers you that much they make slice proof gloves and many companies make kevlar diving gloves also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom