I want to get - BF wants a Mark 5 Helmet, ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark V and Swindell.jpg
Better pic.

We have shelves and shelves of vintage dive gear that people donate. While hardhat diving doesn't coincide with the Navy SEALs, we keep all donations no matter how small. These came in while I was on vaca in Mexico a few weeks back.

They won't be available for public viewing, but I get to share them with everyone that comes in my office!!!

I work in such a cool place.

I remembered reading about a catastrophic helmet squeeze and looked it up. Peter Keeble, in his book "Ordeal by Water" (Doubleday & Co. 1958. Pg. 160) describes such an event:

"We pulled the limp suit over the bulwarks and into the diving boat and dropped the horrifying bundle on the bottom boards. Somebody, with shaking hands, reached to unscrew the front glass of the helmet - and released a warm sickening flood. Hurriedly we threw a canvas engine cover over the pitiful, terrifying remains. One slip, and the accident we had lectured on, threatened about, painted ghastly pictures of and done our level best to guard against, had happened. Casually, the unfortunate shipwright had been allowed to drop forty feet and the instant change of depth and pressure had produced the giant squeeze. Most of the diver had been forced up into the copper dome of his helmet."

Any idea where to get a good replica, just want it for my bedroom.

Back
Top Bottom