I want to get - BF wants a Mark 5 Helmet, ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a bit of diving history. Joe Savoie lived just a few miles from me.

Joe Savoie Stainless Steel Diving Helmet | Diving Helmets

The Savoie was easily the most elegant free flow air hat produced and inspired a lot of future hats. I remember showing one to a manufacturing engineer who didn't believe it could be made with less than a $250,000 in tooling… estimated in the mid 1970s. I never met Joe Savoie but am astonished to this day at what he was able to do with almost nothing.

From what I have seen, you can buy a new Desco hat for less than a used one. These are real working hats, not replicas.

I would suggest one of the copper hats rather than the plated ones if your intent is to display it. The plating didn’t last long in actual salt water use but would take forever to get off otherwise. Just make sure your boyfriend agrees to do the polishing for the rest or your lives. Definitely include his first can of Brasso with it!

Also remember that you need a breast plate stand, usually made by the ship’s carpenter from mahogany, and a substantial table. The Mark V air hat is 54 Lbs and the Helium hat is 109 Lbs (not recommended).

If a hat is just way out of your budget, you might consider the US Navy Diver’s Knife which they sell for $290.

knife2.jpg

These were so cool that they had more value for cumshaw (Navy slang for trading or bribing to get supplies or services outside normal channels) than as a diver's knife. I am sure a lot were pilfered by divers for themselves too. I never actually saw one until getting out of the Navy. Siebe Gorman in the UK also made a diver’s knife but it didn’t have the screw-in sheath.

Last edited:
I agree with that knife suggetion Akimbo; if the price for a hard hat is out of reach. Any admirer of MkV's would also love to recieve one of those.

You had me scratching my head for a second until I realized that you're talking about a Mark V helmet. I want one too! Anyway I wasn't aware that there were any dive shops in Port Alberni. Curt Smecher was the reason why I moved out to B.C., and he ended up taking a position on the mainland just a few months after I relocated to Port Alberni. With him went the Dive Shed unfortunately.

We operate out of our home, but it you are ever down this way Im always looking for a dive buddy...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom