I want to get - BF wants a Mark 5 Helmet, ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katie K

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Port McNeill, Vancouver Island,BC, Canada
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi..

My boyfriend is going to Florida just so he can dive a mark 5 hamlet. His as always looking at replicas on line and wants one so bad.. i was hoping someone would know were I may find a real or very good replica for him. It is our 5th Christmas together and I want to blow his mind with his gift.

Thanks,
KT

You had me scratching my head for a second until I realized that you're talking about a Mark V helmet. I want one too! Anyway I wasn't aware that there were any dive shops in Port Alberni. Curt Smecher was the reason why I moved out to B.C., and he ended up taking a position on the mainland just a few months after I relocated to Port Alberni. With him went the Dive Shed unfortunately.

Katie, There are some really crappy replicas and some nice ones. I would suggest that you look at some photos of real ones and compare. Real Mark V's are still available new from Desco. About $5500. Older ones would be more. I had a Mark V that I dove many times and it is the most fun you could have. If you find one that you are interested in, email me a photo and I would be happy to help you decide if it is authentic or not. I have owned a few over the years and could help you make sure you get one he would like. Good luck with your hunt.

Reactions: Jax
I don't want a MkV helmet, just a GF who wants to buy me one! Oops, my wifes coming... gotta go.

Are you sure he wants a US Navy Mark V or would he be happy with a different model as long as it was a working hat? There [-]are[/-] were a lot of really nice hats made in the UK, Germany, France, and Italy as well as different models made in the US by Desco and Schrader (the same guy that invented the inner tube valve). I was trained on a Mark V but would sell a first born for one of the French or Italian hats.

Last edited:
Even if he doesn't get the Mark V, I'd say he is very lucky to have you as a GF!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom